Hairstyling/bangs

Question
bangs
bangs  

bangs
bangs  
Just two questions, Dana, please.  
1) With this new bang, I notice that always, always, people cut my bangs a bit farther back.  LIke comparing my daughter's bangs, they go 3 inches back from her hairline, and mine go 3.25 inches back from my hairline.  Is there a reason for this, due to my shape of my head, or something??  Or do you think I could handle less area of a bang and still have a decent bang??  
2)  If you notice, my "face-framing" bangs (the longer pieces), there is more of them (it's heavier) on one side than the other.  does that have to do with my cowlick, or did they cut it wrong/?  Just wondering, because I'm always so stuck on symmetry and  it seems like they cut me a bit off.  but maybe it's not the cut, just wondering. Thanks

Answer
Hi Andrea,

It's possible that every time you get them cut, the stylists are just following the cut that is already there. There could be a reason, such as growth patterns for example, that make it more appropriate. The photos are too dark and without being able to move your hair around I can on,y guess. But, in order to prevent them from being cut so far back, just explain that you would prefer a thinner fringe and don't want them cut so far back.  It's not unusual to cut the fringe stating at the high point, which I suspect is where yours are being cut. Since everyone is a little different, that would explain why yours go further back than your daughter's.  How far back your hair needs to be cut to have a "decent bang" depends on what you consider that to be and how thick your hair is. Many people prefer a slight, wispy fringe and are very happy with that.

As far as the framing goes, I can't see that in the photos but if you think they are off, that's easy enough to fix. I would suggest having your stylist take a look. It's possible that they look uneven when they are dry because of the way your hair grows. The simple solution to that is to have them cut so they LOOK even. That doesn't mean that when they are wet and combed down they are even. Because you have so much trouble getting them cut the way you like, I would also suggest that you have them cut dry and straightened. Also, don't just let the stylist start cutting. Request a consultation first so you can duscuss your concerns. It also wouldn't be a bad idea to take pictures of what you like and don't like to help with the discussion.

Bangs are tricky. If you want them to look even, depending on cow licks, direction of growth, thickness etc., they very often need to be cut unevenly if that makes any sense. My bangs are longer on one side so they hang evenly when I style my hair. If you are a stickler for symmetry, you should probably opt for visual symmetry rather than measured symmetry.

From what little I can see in the photos, they don't look like they are cut too far back but if you want them thinner, just have less cut and see how you like them.  

Hairstyling

Dana Sear