Hairstyling/hair developer

I have 30 volume developer at home.  My mom is dying my hair tomorrow morning.  I am dying my bleached blonde hair back to my natural brown color.  I bought the brown hair dye, but forgot to buy a 10 volume developer.  How can I turn the 30 volume developer to a 10 volume?  I was told I could possibly mix it with water.  If so, what is the ratio?  Thanks so much!

Hi Diane,

First of all, if you have read my profile you know that I never recommend doing color at home. If your hair bleached to blond, you can't  just put brown over it. Especially if it's pale yellow or white. It will grab the ash tone and reject the warmth. This is exactly how people end up with green, gray, prple, etc

You need to use demi color and you need to layer it. You would apply the first shade lighter and warmer than your desired shade, then shampoo that out, and apply your target shade. By layering your color, you'll end up with a better tone and you will repair your hair a bit without creating more damage. Plus it will last longer than a permanent color because all permanent color lifts then deposits. Even with 10 vol.  

Dana Sear

I can answer questions on all types of hairstyling, cutting, designing, coloring, corrective color, perming techniques,product knowledge, and in general, anything that has anything to do with hair. PLEASE NOTE: I am a professional designer and trainer. I do hair and teach advanced classes to licensed designers. I do not, under any circumstances, recommend doing chemical services including but not limited to relaxers, perms, color, highlights, or any other chemical service at home. I will not tell you how to use professional products nor will I tell you how to do your color at home. What I CAN do is arm you with current and accurate information and help you to be able to better communicate with your stylist/designer. I can also help you with what you need to do at home to maintain, protect, and treat your hair.

I have been a designer and educator for 31 years. I have been a salon consultant for Redken, affiliate trainer for ABBA Pure and Natural, Director of Education for my own salon and am currently a member of the design team and advanced trainer for my company. I specialize in corrective color, perming and style support, and image updates (make overs)

I have been actively licensed for 31 years. I actively participate in and teach cutting, perming, coloring, and business building classes. I am a REDKEN Certified Haircolorist, and REDKEN Specialist. I also have extensive training in Structure in Motion Cutting Techniques and Tigi Cutting.