Hairstyling/Curly Perm on Black Hair

Hi! I have healthy chemical free "natural hair" that is past my shoulders.  For ease of styling, for my busy life-style, I am looking to relax or perm my hair.  Since I workout 3-5x a week and have fine hair my hair gets wet quick and and since I can't wear my curls out since it shrinks really quickly and my hair textures vary, I end up having to wear it in banana clips most of the week (yuck-im 39 next month!)My texture is 3c/4a aka my curls have a diameter of a straw to coffee stirrer and is very fine (narrow strands) but very dense (thick-lots of hair).  What do you think of curly perms on Black hair? And which products do you recommend? I was looking into ISO perm option3 or 4?

Thanks for your help!

Firstly, my apology for the delayed response. I have no problem with curly perms on black hair. This can be done with Wave Nouveau oe any other perming system that your stylist uses. In either case a thio or non- thio based relaxer would be used first to remove unwanted curl or kink, which is then followed by perming for the new desired curl. Non thio relaxer is very different from sodium or "no lye" relaxing, just to be clear. The two chemical systems are not compatible and using a thio or non thio perm over a standard sodium or no lye relaxer will destroy the hair.
Remember that after this type of service your hair will require moisturizing regularly to maintain it.
Best of luck to you.
Stephe (hairman)

I have been a Licensed cosmetologist in New York state for over 26 years, and am well versed in many areas of the cosmetology and appearance enhancement profession.Specialties however, are hair colour, corrective colour and permanent waving,including the chemical and technical aspects of these services and their effects on the hair.I`m glad to consult on any problems you are having concerning your hair.If I don`t have the answer, I`ll try to get it for you.

I've been licensed for cosmetology in New York State since 1974.I am a salon owner, and very active with the National Cosmetology Association and New York State Cosmetology Associaiton.I am one of only a few hundred people in the United States to be certi

For the field of cosmetology, to become acredited as a state educator for the New York State Education Committee or HairAmerica, you must submit to a full day exam, encompassing written exam, practical segments, lesson plans and presentations to prove our knowledge and teaching skills.The same applies for HAirAmerica.I also becam board certified as a coulourist in the same way, by submitting to a full day exam process.I am also antionally certified for cosmetology by the National Cosmetology Ass

I have received several educational awards from New York State for my educational work on a state and national level.
My web site, still under construction, in