Hairstyling/Hair color

Question
I usually have my hair highlited blonde at a salon.  My roots are getting really dark and longer so i want to go back to brown hair but I tried it years ago and the blonde turned black & my roots were brown.  How can i keep this from happening??  I just want light brown hair.

Thank you,
Shannon

Answer
Hi Shannon,

Sorry for the late reply. I didn't see this in my cue.

You can't just put brown on top of blond without replacing the missing pigments. Plus, you need to equalize the porosity. My best recommendation would be to allow the salon to do the initial tint back, and go to someone with a bit of experience. If they try to tint it back in one step without filling first, find someone else.

Often, if the hair is very porous, the tint back will fade a bit. If it does, and you prefer then to maintain the brown yourself, you can use a demi color, which will be damage free and stick to the pigment already in your hair and last longer. I do not use permanent color unless I'm trying to lift hair to a lighter shade. I layer demi color and get much better results.  

Hairstyling

Dana Sear