Hairstyling/Hair is still bright copper in some lights

A bit of history on my hair - I have naturally curly, reddish brown hair. I was colouring it at home for about 2 years with a demi, and started going to a salon to have it coloured for the past year. I really dislike the red tones in my hair, and I have always wanted a medium ash brown.

I went in with a photo of a medium ash brown with a very subtle ash blonde balayage, and left with a very reddish ombre - it was very brassy and it looked almost kool-aid red in some lights. I went back and had it covered with some colour to tone it down. 2 months later, the ombre had resurfaced, so I wanted to cover it up. My stylist and I discussed going to a medium ash brown, and I left with hair that was pretty much black. I was disappointed, but my stylist told me that it would take many visits to get to the colour I wanted.

I went back last week and she put in a "shampoo cocktail" and put colour over everything. The colour in the salon looked nice - not very ashy, but a nice medium brown. The next day, I looked in the mirror with natural light and my hair is copper - definitely not what I want. And worse, I have a halo of dark hair around eye level, and hot roots throughout. I'm going back tomorrow to have her fix this, but I have questions:

1) Am I able to get a medium ash brown that doesn't shine copper in natural light? Do I need someone with more colour experience? (my stylist has around 2 years experience doing hair) - I also wonder if it's the product, and whether it is strong enough (Aveda)

2)I have tried purple shampoo and conditioner and they don't seem to do much for brunette hair. Any suggestions for what I can do to lessen the copper tones?

3) How can I better communicate with my stylist? I have never been 100% happy with the colour or cut I get. I have brought in photos and my hair doesn't look much at all like what I show her.

Thank you so much!

Hi Ashley,

It's 2:30 a.m. And I work at 8:00 a.m. But I see that you are going in for an appt so I want to address this briefly now and I'll give you a much more detailed answer later.

In short, yes, you can get what you want, yes it can be achieved with Aveda color, and yes, you need a more experienced stylist. If you've been going to the same stylist for a year and have never been satisfied, I would recommend being honest with her and tell her you don't think this is a good fit. Don't be shy. Tell her what you told me (gently :c). We hate it when people leave us won't tell us why.

I'll address the rest of your questions at length later this evening.  

Dana Sear

I can answer questions on all types of hairstyling, cutting, designing, coloring, corrective color, perming techniques,product knowledge, and in general, anything that has anything to do with hair. PLEASE NOTE: I am a professional designer and trainer. I do hair and teach advanced classes to licensed designers. I do not, under any circumstances, recommend doing chemical services including but not limited to relaxers, perms, color, highlights, or any other chemical service at home. I will not tell you how to use professional products nor will I tell you how to do your color at home. What I CAN do is arm you with current and accurate information and help you to be able to better communicate with your stylist/designer. I can also help you with what you need to do at home to maintain, protect, and treat your hair.

I have been a designer and educator for 31 years. I have been a salon consultant for Redken, affiliate trainer for ABBA Pure and Natural, Director of Education for my own salon and am currently a member of the design team and advanced trainer for my company. I specialize in corrective color, perming and style support, and image updates (make overs)

I have been actively licensed for 31 years. I actively participate in and teach cutting, perming, coloring, and business building classes. I am a REDKEN Certified Haircolorist, and REDKEN Specialist. I also have extensive training in Structure in Motion Cutting Techniques and Tigi Cutting.