Hairstyling/hair trimming

Hello, I am wondering the Longest I can get away without a trim, without the hair being compromised or split up the shaft (if this is even true).  I lighten my hair quite a bit, and it is bit parched/dry, but thick and healthy otherwise. I have never been told that I have split ends, but I just notice myself they look a little frayed maybe now?  I am also trying to grown it long for a change.  I can never find the real answer on this.  Thank you so much!  Susanne

This is something that varies greatly from person to person for many factors, such as condition, what you do to it with regard to chemical services and styling, etc.
To go through your questions;
Hair splits at the ends only, not up the shaft. What you are seeing is the split ends of shorter strands. The healthier your hair, the longer you can go between trims. Someone with natural hair that does not get much heat styling can probably go about 3 months between trims. Someone who has colour, especially lightening, and heat styling will probably need to go about 6-8 tops before the ends start to fray. Other factors are how well and often you condition your hair. This can extent the time slightly.
The big thing to remember when growing hair is to treat it well and have chemical services done properly and condition well on a regular basis. When you go for a trim, go to someone who will work with you toward growing your hair, by trimming only the very ends each time, so they are not removing all you've just grown. Remember also that if you go too long between trims the ends can slip back to the point that more will need to be removed to even it out.
Basically, you need to start with a good trim and even ends and proceed to grow from there.
Best of luck to you,
Stephe (hairman)

I have been a Licensed cosmetologist in New York state for over 26 years, and am well versed in many areas of the cosmetology and appearance enhancement profession.Specialties however, are hair colour, corrective colour and permanent waving,including the chemical and technical aspects of these services and their effects on the hair.I`m glad to consult on any problems you are having concerning your hair.If I don`t have the answer, I`ll try to get it for you.

I've been licensed for cosmetology in New York State since 1974.I am a salon owner, and very active with the National Cosmetology Association and New York State Cosmetology Associaiton.I am one of only a few hundred people in the United States to be certi

For the field of cosmetology, to become acredited as a state educator for the New York State Education Committee or HairAmerica, you must submit to a full day exam, encompassing written exam, practical segments, lesson plans and presentations to prove our knowledge and teaching skills.The same applies for HAirAmerica.I also becam board certified as a coulourist in the same way, by submitting to a full day exam process.I am also antionally certified for cosmetology by the National Cosmetology Ass

I have received several educational awards from New York State for my educational work on a state and national level.
My web site, still under construction, in