Hairstyling/Knotting and Length Retention

Question
Hey,

I've emailed a few times previously, and my hair is slowly growing out (yay). But now I've got another problem; two or three strands of my hair knotting together.

It's only really the ends, but the thing is they're impossible to detangle, so I have to end up cutting them out. But by continuously snipping at the ends, surely I'm not going to retain any length. I've been sleeping on a silk pillowcase, but it doesn't seem to be helping.

http://postimg.org/image/wsar9x0j3/

Any advice about how to prevent them?

Nathan :-)

Answer
Hi Nathan ,

Glad to hear your hair is growing out. If the ends are split, you have to cut just past where they're split or they continue to move up the hair strand.  You may need more moisture. If the ends are dry, but not split, a deep moisturizing conditioner should help. It's one of the curses of curly hair though to tangle a bit, especially at the ends. You might have some success with detangling  by applying your moisturizer, and combing through before rinsing the conditioner.

Serums, such as Moroccan Oil for example, help keep hair moisturized to prevent more tangling as well.  In general, the healthier your hair is, the easier it is to work with, so focus on getting your hair in tip top shape and getting the tangles out will get easier.  

Hairstyling

Dana Sear