Hi Dana, thanks for bein available.  I'm in my mid 40s & have thinned, straight hair.  I used to use the cheap Suave, but it left residue on my scalp.  So bad sometimes, I would be able to scratch my scalp & fill up my nail with dead skin/residue/whatever it is.  I bought shampoo at Great Clips, which seemed to work OK, but was wonderin what is a good over-the-counter shampoo that will leave my scalp clean.

Hi Greg,

To be honest with you, I don't know much about the OTC products  unless I dislike them for some reason. The ones I don't like typically fade color , are hard to color over, dry out the hair, etc. what I can tell you is that be use you have fine hair, you need a protein based shampoo. Avoid the moisturizing shampoos. The chemical breakdown that naturally occurs in fine hair is high moisture and low protein.  That doesn't mean that you don't need any moisture at all. It just means that your hair naturally has more moisture than protein.  

You could also consider a clarifying shampoo. It will say deep cleansing or clarifying on the label. If all else fails, buy something designed for oily scalp. Usually, all this info will be right on the front of the bottle.

When you're ready to take the plunge and go pro, American Crew, Redken and Paul Mitchell all have excellent choices and because they are uber concentrated, a liter will last you about one year.  

Dana Sear

I can answer questions on all types of hairstyling, cutting, designing, coloring, corrective color, perming techniques,product knowledge, and in general, anything that has anything to do with hair. PLEASE NOTE: I am a professional designer and trainer. I do hair and teach advanced classes to licensed designers. I do not, under any circumstances, recommend doing chemical services including but not limited to relaxers, perms, color, highlights, or any other chemical service at home. I will not tell you how to use professional products nor will I tell you how to do your color at home. What I CAN do is arm you with current and accurate information and help you to be able to better communicate with your stylist/designer. I can also help you with what you need to do at home to maintain, protect, and treat your hair.

I have been a designer and educator for 31 years. I have been a salon consultant for Redken, affiliate trainer for ABBA Pure and Natural, Director of Education for my own salon and am currently a member of the design team and advanced trainer for my company. I specialize in corrective color, perming and style support, and image updates (make overs)

I have been actively licensed for 31 years. I actively participate in and teach cutting, perming, coloring, and business building classes. I am a REDKEN Certified Haircolorist, and REDKEN Specialist. I also have extensive training in Structure in Motion Cutting Techniques and Tigi Cutting.