Hairstyling/spiral perms

Question
QUESTION: Can you tell me what size section of hair, dimension wise, should be wrapped on each perm rod for a spiral perm and what size section for a regular wrap perm.  I'm curious as to the difference in amount of hair on each rod.  Thank you.

ANSWER: Ali,
 Gor both the rule of thumb is about the same, about the width of the rod. The difference is that once the hair is too long and creates too much bulk on the rod to be permed, rinsed and neutralized successfully, then a spiral wrap would be used. In this case the section would be a square section the width of the rod, wrapped in a spiral pattern, like the stripe on a barber pole, but without the space between, if that makes sense. Because of the way this is wrapped the rods will hang loosely.
Best of luck to you.
Stephe (hairman)

QUESTION: Thank you.  I was just wondering b/c there was a hairdresser that used a lot more rods than others on my hair and my hair came out much curlier than other perms I received.  He did an awesome job, but unfortunately he's not doing it anymore.  I have a lot of hair and was curious if that makes any difference?

I'm confused as to one part ... if the rods hang loosely, doesn't that mean that it would not be as curly at the root?

Answer
By hanging loosely, what I meant was that that hang from the end, as they are connected by a smaller strand at the end of the rod instead of a wide strand spanning the entire width of the rod. The rod would still be wound to the head.
Best of luck to you.
Stephe (hairman)

Hairstyling

Hairman