You are here:

Hairstyling/wave nouveau

Advertisement


Question
I had my hair stylist put in a wave nouveau on my virgin hair. The first time it came out very nice and curly. However the second time and third times I notice that the ends are not curling. They are coming out straight. She reset it for me and it was a little better, but still not as curly as it should be. It has a stringy look. Is she doing something wrong? or should I go to the Carefree curl?  I'm thinking both products are basically the same. The first time my hair was very short, now its 6 inches long.
I have been going to this stylist for some years, but this is the first time she has put in a curl, and I'm wondering if she is just not as experience with performing this type of procedure. She does excellent with relaxers. However my hair has been cut free of all relaxer and I went natural for a while, so I know the ends coming out straight has nothing to do with relaxer being on the ends. I would appreciate your suggestions. Thank you kindly.

Answer
Hi Vickie,

I don't use Wave Nouveau personally, but I can tell in general, how perms and relaxers work. My immediate thought on this is, if the ends curled the first time and after that they went straight, they have been over processed. The general rule is not to overlap chemical processes. Since ends tend to be more porous, and hence fragile, they need less to achieve the same result. When hair is being curl or straightened, the internal bonds are broken and kind of glued into the new shape. However, only about 70% are rehashed. The other 30% remain broken. That's why we aren't supposed to overlap chemicals. Once too many if the bonds have been broken, they won't hold a curl. The big problem with that is, you probably can't get the curl to hold now and those ends should be cut.


I can only guess as to what actually happened because I have only read about this product but it sounds like you need a splash of protein on the ends of your hair to give them some muscle. A deep conditioning treatment or two make work wonders. In the meantime, next time you need a curl, I would recommend only perming the new growth.

As for switching products, I would call the manufacturer first to make sure the two products are compatible first.  

Hairstyling

All Answers


Answers by Expert:


Ask Experts

Volunteer


Dana Sear

Expertise

I can answer questions on all types of hairstyling, cutting, designing, coloring, corrective color, perming techniques,product knowledge, and in general, anything that has anything to do with hair. PLEASE NOTE: I am a professional designer and trainer. I do hair and teach advanced classes to licensed designers. I do not, under any circumstances, recommend doing chemical services including but not limited to relaxers, perms, color, highlights, or any other chemical service at home. I will not tell you how to use professional products nor will I tell you how to do your color at home. What I CAN do is arm you with current and accurate information and help you to be able to better communicate with your stylist/designer. I can also help you with what you need to do at home to maintain, protect, and treat your hair.

Experience

I have been a designer and educator for 31 years. I have been a salon consultant for Redken, affiliate trainer for ABBA Pure and Natural, Director of Education for my own salon and am currently a member of the design team and advanced trainer for my company. I specialize in corrective color, perming and style support, and image updates (make overs)

Education/Credentials
I have been actively licensed for 31 years. I actively participate in and teach cutting, perming, coloring, and business building classes. I am a REDKEN Certified Haircolorist, and REDKEN Specialist. I also have extensive training in Structure in Motion Cutting Techniques and Tigi Cutting.

©2016 About.com. All rights reserved.