Hairstyling/wave nouveau

Question
I had my hair stylist put in a wave nouveau on my virgin hair. The first time it came out very nice and curly. However the second time and third times I notice that the ends are not curling. They are coming out straight. She reset it for me and it was a little better, but still not as curly as it should be. It has a stringy look. Is she doing something wrong? or should I go to the Carefree curl?  I'm thinking both products are basically the same. The first time my hair was very short, now its 6 inches long.
I have been going to this stylist for some years, but this is the first time she has put in a curl, and I'm wondering if she is just not as experience with performing this type of procedure. She does excellent with relaxers. However my hair has been cut free of all relaxer and I went natural for a while, so I know the ends coming out straight has nothing to do with relaxer being on the ends. I would appreciate your suggestions. Thank you kindly.

Answer
Hi Vickie,

I don't use Wave Nouveau personally, but I can tell in general, how perms and relaxers work. My immediate thought on this is, if the ends curled the first time and after that they went straight, they have been over processed. The general rule is not to overlap chemical processes. Since ends tend to be more porous, and hence fragile, they need less to achieve the same result. When hair is being curl or straightened, the internal bonds are broken and kind of glued into the new shape. However, only about 70% are rehashed. The other 30% remain broken. That's why we aren't supposed to overlap chemicals. Once too many if the bonds have been broken, they won't hold a curl. The big problem with that is, you probably can't get the curl to hold now and those ends should be cut.

I can only guess as to what actually happened because I have only read about this product but it sounds like you need a splash of protein on the ends of your hair to give them some muscle. A deep conditioning treatment or two make work wonders. In the meantime, next time you need a curl, I would recommend only perming the new growth.

As for switching products, I would call the manufacturer first to make sure the two products are compatible first.  

Hairstyling

Dana Sear