Hairstyling/hair breakage and dryness

I have a thick hair just like the African hair and for few months now i have been experience terrible breakage and dryness even after using different oils on it. Please help me to get my hair healthy again.

Thank you.

ANSWER: Hi Mary,

Before we can fix it, we need to know what's causing the problem. When did the breakage start? What products are you using on it? Have you had any chemical treatments or smoothing treatments of any kind? Have you had surgery, health issues, medications or a change in medications? Did you move to a new area? What have you been using to try to repair?

I can tell you right off the bat that moisture does not repair. It makes the hair soft and supple but  it doesn't repair internal structure. You need protein for that. And once hair so,it's, it's done. It must be cut off above the split or else, the split will continue to travel up the hair strand.  

Answer the questions above and we'll try to figure this out.

QUESTION: Hello once again,
Thanks alot for your help. As for the questions asked, my hair breakage started two months ago, I changed my shampoo and conditioner to pantene (nature and life).I really have not done any chemical or smoothing treatment on my hair for a very long time. Now i just use a perfumed olive oil,coconut oil and on rare occasions i use some other natural oils.
I changed environment i.e to malaysia in january but the hair breakage and dryness started around june. I stopped putting relaxer on it since May but i have done this a few times before and i did not get this much breakage.

ANSWER: Ok, well, it could be the move. Changes in climate, water, etc., and stress, even the good kind, can affect your hair. Since you had a relaxer in May and the breakage started in June,I am inclined to think that either the product was overlapped (one too many times?), left on too long, not rinsed well enough OR a different product was used and the previous relaxer and the last relaxer were not compatible. These are just a few of the issues that can cause breakage.

As far as the oils you're using, you're mainly using moisture. As I mentioned before, moisture doesn't repair. You need to apply protein too. I don't know which brands you have available to you in Malaysia but look for products that say they are for damaged or distressed hair. The products will say what they are for on the front of the bottle generally. Products for damaged and distressed hair have a combination of protein and moisture. The protein works on the inside of the hair shaft. The moisture works on the outside. Then, follow with your favorite serum.

Also, be very gentle with your hair when it's wet. Hair is in its most fragile state when it's wet. Avoid pulling, tugging, stretching your hair when it's wet. If you're going to blow dry and straighten, be sure to use a quality thermal protectant.

QUESTION: Hi dana,

Thanks alot for your advise. Im working on the hair now, i have cut all the relaxed part off, now im left with the natural hair( I look like a guy lol). I also got a new shampoo and conditioner which is Tresemme thermal recovery. I dont think heat damaged my hair because i dont usually use heat on it but the shampoo and conditioner had aloe vera and almond oil in it so i think it will be fine for my hair as well. I have this shea butter and honey mixture, I want to know if it's good for the hair...

Thank you very much, hope to hear from you soon.

Hi Mary,

Shea butter and honey are both ok. If you're using a hair product, over the counter products use a lower grade of ingredients and the water content is very high as compared to a professional product but it's better than not using a moisturizer.  

By the way, most thermal Protestants also contain a bit of uv protection as well, so using products for thermal protection or color treated hair is usually a good idea even if you don't use heat to hair color. :c)  

Dana Sear

I can answer questions on all types of hairstyling, cutting, designing, coloring, corrective color, perming techniques,product knowledge, and in general, anything that has anything to do with hair. PLEASE NOTE: I am a professional designer and trainer. I do hair and teach advanced classes to licensed designers. I do not, under any circumstances, recommend doing chemical services including but not limited to relaxers, perms, color, highlights, or any other chemical service at home. I will not tell you how to use professional products nor will I tell you how to do your color at home. What I CAN do is arm you with current and accurate information and help you to be able to better communicate with your stylist/designer. I can also help you with what you need to do at home to maintain, protect, and treat your hair.

I have been a designer and educator for 31 years. I have been a salon consultant for Redken, affiliate trainer for ABBA Pure and Natural, Director of Education for my own salon and am currently a member of the design team and advanced trainer for my company. I specialize in corrective color, perming and style support, and image updates (make overs)

I have been actively licensed for 31 years. I actively participate in and teach cutting, perming, coloring, and business building classes. I am a REDKEN Certified Haircolorist, and REDKEN Specialist. I also have extensive training in Structure in Motion Cutting Techniques and Tigi Cutting.