Hairstyling/Howvto style my hair?

Question
My hair is kinda curly and frizzy, and a little longer than shoulder length and I have no idea what to do with it! Are there any ways to get neater curls without a curling iron as I do not have one? How can I straighten it without causing extensive damage (been there son that, its why its so short now)? What kinds of buns or braids could I try? I am absolutely horrible at blowdrying it so how do I get better? It is thick and unruly, and kinda dry at the bottoms.

Answer
Hi Shay,

Ok, you've asked a lot of great questions here. Some are a bit harder to answer because they require demonstration. I'll do what I can.

Curls are tricky. You MUST use products designed for curly hair. You cannot touch curly hair once it's dry with dry hands and it's much better to apply your styling cream, mousse or spray gel, place your curls by twisting them around your fingers and air drying. Blow drying curly hair can be done with a diffuser, however, nothing beats air drying when it comes to allowing the curls to bounce up and hold their shape.

For straightening, use a shampoo and conditioner designed to smooth hair; apply a smoothing gel and a thermal protectant; blow dry using a bit of tension to start the smoothing process; once the hair is dry, it'll probably be kind of frizzy at this point unless you're really good with a round brush, straighten your hair, applying a thermal protectant to each section as you go. I prefer to straighten the top half of the section, do that to 3 sections, then put all 3 sections together to straighten the bottom half.

You can find hundreds of videos of easy diy updo's, braids and buns on youtube and pinterest. Without being able to see you, any suggestions I could make would all be guesses and that won't help you much. I particularly like cute girls hairstyles on youtube for ideas.

The BEST way to learn how to work with your hair is to have your hair designer show you some tips and tricks. You can also go in for a free consultation. What's great about the consultation is that you can have someone look at your hair in person and tell you specifically which types of products would work best on your hair. You won't be required to buy them or get your hair done. Just call and schedule the consultation and explain that you have a few questions. It would be especially helpful if you were to take some pics of what you like and don't like with you to give the designer some ideas of what you'd like to see. Then, you can take that info and check out youtube and pinterest to find styles and techniques that will work with your specific hair type.  

Hairstyling

Dana Sear