Hairstyling/Inversion Method

Hi Dana,
I wondered if you have heard of the inversion method, for growing up to 4 inches of hair in a week (YouTube has videos), and is it valid?  Also, if I try it, would it turn bleached highlights brassy?  Oil is involved, so I'm not sure what that can do to hair.  Thanks.

Hi Abigail,

There is no secret pill, secret method, secret handshake or anything else that will make your hair grow. By the way, it's 1 inch in 7 days. So, no, hanging upside down is only going to make you pass out and only if you do it long enough. Oi shouldn't discolor your hair although some do experience yellowing if they use a lot of oil and high heat on their hair.

How fast your hair grows is determined by both internal and external factors. First and foremost is heredity.  You're genetically wired to grow to a certain height, have a certain color skin and eye, etc. general health, nutrition, amount of sleep and amount if exercise all factor in as well. The best way to get your hair to grow is to live a healthy, active lifestyle. Many of my clients are surprised at how fast their hair grows when they start an exercise routine.  Fatigue, stress, malnutrition all play a part in slowing the growth process and weak, fragile hair.

So, if you really want your hair to grow as fast as you're genetically wired to do so, eat well, sleep well and live well. If you're already doing all that, and you're keeping the split ends cut away, your hair is growing as fast as it will anyway. If not, you may be pleasantly surprised at how well and healthy your grows if you start exercising.  Good luck,  

Dana Sear

I can answer questions on all types of hairstyling, cutting, designing, coloring, corrective color, perming techniques,product knowledge, and in general, anything that has anything to do with hair. PLEASE NOTE: I am a professional designer and trainer. I do hair and teach advanced classes to licensed designers. I do not, under any circumstances, recommend doing chemical services including but not limited to relaxers, perms, color, highlights, or any other chemical service at home. I will not tell you how to use professional products nor will I tell you how to do your color at home. What I CAN do is arm you with current and accurate information and help you to be able to better communicate with your stylist/designer. I can also help you with what you need to do at home to maintain, protect, and treat your hair.

I have been a designer and educator for 31 years. I have been a salon consultant for Redken, affiliate trainer for ABBA Pure and Natural, Director of Education for my own salon and am currently a member of the design team and advanced trainer for my company. I specialize in corrective color, perming and style support, and image updates (make overs)

I have been actively licensed for 31 years. I actively participate in and teach cutting, perming, coloring, and business building classes. I am a REDKEN Certified Haircolorist, and REDKEN Specialist. I also have extensive training in Structure in Motion Cutting Techniques and Tigi Cutting.