Hairstyling/Permed Hair to Rebonded Hair

last week i went to the salon to get my hair permed (curly) and it is definitely horrible. is it safe to have my hair rebonded instead because i used to have soft and beautiful hair, but now it's all ruined. it's just been a week since i got my hair permed. is it safe to rebond it now? last time i went to the same salon the owner told me that it's safe to have my hair rebonded still, but i'm worried that it's gonna cause my hair much more damage. help, please and thank you.

Hi Marie,

In general, I would say no.  However, I don't know which perm was used or which rebonding product would be used. The problem is, overlapping chemical services is tricky because not all chemicals are compatible. I would go back to the salon and request reconditions treatments to repair your hair rather than do another chemical treatment. If the salon owner has told you that it's safe to rebond over the perm, it's very likely that she already knows it's ok to do it. I understand you being hesitant to believe the owner since you're already dissatisfied with the results of one service but the owner, I doubt, would risk damaging your hair more.  

Even if she dies say it's safe, I'd still ask for a reconstructions treatment or 3 until your hair is healthy again.  

Dana Sear

I can answer questions on all types of hairstyling, cutting, designing, coloring, corrective color, perming techniques,product knowledge, and in general, anything that has anything to do with hair. PLEASE NOTE: I am a professional designer and trainer. I do hair and teach advanced classes to licensed designers. I do not, under any circumstances, recommend doing chemical services including but not limited to relaxers, perms, color, highlights, or any other chemical service at home. I will not tell you how to use professional products nor will I tell you how to do your color at home. What I CAN do is arm you with current and accurate information and help you to be able to better communicate with your stylist/designer. I can also help you with what you need to do at home to maintain, protect, and treat your hair.

I have been a designer and educator for 31 years. I have been a salon consultant for Redken, affiliate trainer for ABBA Pure and Natural, Director of Education for my own salon and am currently a member of the design team and advanced trainer for my company. I specialize in corrective color, perming and style support, and image updates (make overs)

I have been actively licensed for 31 years. I actively participate in and teach cutting, perming, coloring, and business building classes. I am a REDKEN Certified Haircolorist, and REDKEN Specialist. I also have extensive training in Structure in Motion Cutting Techniques and Tigi Cutting.