Hairstyling/Top Knot with my Thick Natural Hair

Question
Hair
Hair  
QUESTION: Hello and thanks for your service!

I have been going natural for about 2 years. I mainly wear my hear in a high bun or an afro and sometimes straightened. I've looked everywhere for tutorials on how to do a top knot with my type of hair, which is very thick, and I can't seem to find any.
Any techniques that I can use for my type of hair?

Below is  picture of me and my hair.

ANSWER: Hi Jordan,

Your hair LOOKS thick! Love it! I don't know that there's really any special trick. However, I do prefer to do top knots on straight hair.  Especially when it's thick. Straightening it compresses the hair shaft a bit, which, I think, makes it easier to wrap and twist.  The way I would probably do yours would be to wear it straight for a day or two and then, put it in a high pony. Apply a bit of serum or smoothing cream and then twist. Once you've made a couple of twists, you can start wrapping the hair around the base of the pony, continuing to twist as you wrap.  I think with your curly hair, your going to get the smoothest bun that way and the ends won't pop out. I can't tell by the photo how long your hair is, but if you wanted to leave it curly, you can always use a bun form. Super easy to use. Just pull your pony through the center, spread your hair out and around the form and pin it. I usually just  do it on straight hair though because then you can wear it like that till you're bored with it. :c)

QUESTION: Thanks so much for the tips!

Would you mind putting a step by step process though?

Answer
You're welcome, and sure!

1. On clean, dry, conditioned hair apply a thermal protectant such as Paul Mitchell Super Skinny Serum or Mizani thermal spray
2. Comb through hair with a wide tooth comb to distribute thermal protectant and straighten hair with a flat iron.
3. Pull all hair up into a high pony, usually at the crown or too center of the head and secure with an elastic.
4. Apply a small amount of styling cream or pâté se to your palms and emulsify until the product warms to your hands. Smooth through your pony tail especially on the outsides of the pony.
5. Holding the pony straight out from the head, begin twisting; curl and twist the hair making sure to keep it smooth and tight.
6. Once you've twisted the hair about half way down, continuing twisting as you start to wrap the hair around the elastic.  
7. Continue in this manner until all the hair has been wrapped around the elastic and pin in place.

If you're going to use a bun form, I'll try to find you a vid that will work for curly hair...

Here's a good one and she twists before wrapping so it's a good demo.  http://youtu.be/z9HGAcO9vbo

Hairstyling

Dana Sear