Hairstyling/Need Advice On Growing My Hair Long & Managing it.

Question
I'm a man, but I want to grow my hair long. I don't mean your typical girls hair, but when it goes down to your eyebrows and covers your ears. I'm not very good with hair management and don't know what I need to do to get it the way I want. Mainly I want my hair straighter and more flat, as right now it's puffy and rough. Use the guy in the photo as a basis for what I'm thinking, but less messy.
http://i.imgur.com/epZ126A.png

First is the texture of my hair. My hair is quite rough and stiff which may be due to me washing it with shampoo every day, but I heard that isn't a good idea. Now I wash it with shampoo & conditioner every other day, but in-between I still go over it with water. The day I wash it it feels smoother and less stiff, but causes single hairs to sprout out and look more puffy and dry. The next day when I don't wash it it feels more rough and stiff, but doesn't have bits sprouting out or look as dry. What can I do for best results?

Second is parts of my hair curl up at the ends, mainly the parts which comes down the sides in-front of my ears. What can I do to stop this?

Third is if I went to the barbers to sort out these problems, what do I ask? I'm pretty naive when it comes to hair and don't really how I would clearly convey what I want so he understands exactly what I want.

Sorry if some of this just sounds plain silly, but I just don't know this stuff. Advice on these issues or any other advice which will help me get this hair is much appreciated.

Answer
Louis,
 It's not as daunting as it seems. First of all, to convey what you want to your stylist, just bring the picture so they know a starting point for you, and just explain what you want different from the picture.
As for shampooing, shampoo as often as you like, it will not make your hair rough or stiff. Just use a moisturizing shampoo and conditioner to keep it softer. If you choose to alternate between shampooing and conditioning and just rinsing well, that's fine, but not necessary at all.  If your hair is a wavier or courser texture than the picture, then you will not get quite the same look.  For the areas that curl more, your stylist can do a gentle chemical relaxer in those areas to lessen that curl and make it more manageable. As your hair grows it should lie down more and puff out less.
Best of luck to you.
Stephe (hairman)

Hairstyling

Hairman