Hairstyling/Color flecks

Question
For the past several months I have experienced flecks (the same color as my hair) of various sizes falling from my hair - most about the size of a grain of salt or smaller, some are sharp where others I can hardly feel. At times I can feel them hit my scalp and it either stings or makes it itch. Then they seem to fall from my hair and work their way down my body. It can be very uncomfortable - either poking me or itching and is very irritating to my skin. My hair stylist thought it could possibly be a build up of color on my hair but is surprised that it has continued for this long. At times, it seems that there is some type of "release" and I notice quite a lot of it and then I may go a day or two without anything.  I brought a sample to my Dr. who said it looked like some type of cell substance. There is definitely less of it now than there was but it concerns me that it has gone on this long - and, at times, it makes me crazy! I have been coloring my hair for years and have never had anything like this happen before. I have been under a lot of stress lately and didn't know if that could be the cause, and, we did have a bug problem that we had to treat chemically in the yard and house. I did spill some of it on me but immediately washed it off. Could this be a possible reaction to exposure to chemicals?  Have you ever heard of such a thing and do you have any suggestions as to how I can make it stop?  

I would appreciate any information you can give me. Thank you.

Answer
Lisa,
 I must admit to being stumped with this one. My first inclination was brittle hair with the ends breaking, but that can't be it, as it would not break off in pieces that minute, not would you feel pieces that small on your scalp. My next thought was that you have a slight scalp sensitivity to the color or a skin issue, that would cause a buildup of dead skin cells on the scalp that then become infused with the color and when they finally slough off, you have what your doctor referred to as cell substance. I tend to lean in that direction. I don't believe it has anything to do with your yard chemicals.
As an experiment I would suggest using a therapeutic scalp shampoo. Anything meant for scalp issues, and really scrub well to make sure you are exfoliating your scalp well. I have a feeling this may be the issue.
Best of luck to you.
Stephe (hairman)

Hairstyling

Hairman