Hairstyling/Dry Hair!

My hair
My hair  
Hi Dana,

I'm a 20 year old male with very thick, brown wavy hair. However, I really, really want to get a definitive product or shampoo/conditioner that gives my hair shine and gloss. I used to use 'Mane 'n' Tail' but that seemed to dry up my hair even more! My hair seems to have a nice texture at the top of the head but on the sides it seems to go broken, fluffy and dry. Here's a picture of my long hair.

Hi Johnny,

It's the curse of curly hair to be dry!  There are several lines that make products specifically for the issuers you describe. DevaCurl is one. They specialize in curly hair and go to great lengths to make sure the designers using their products, know how to, in fact, use them. However, my absolute FAVORITE new thing is this; Frizz Dismiss by Redken.  It is very new but it is amazing!  They have shampoo, conditioner, and several styling aids.   You won't believe how it can transform your hair.  It will give you plenty of moisture but it also has protein for strength and it's sulphate free which is important for waves and curls.  

If you're wanting specific info such as water...

Avoid shampoo  with sulphates or salt.  The sulfates are not friends to your colored hair.  
    Avoid high heat if you exercise a lot or swim, shampoo daily.  
    And, always use some kind of leave in treatment. Argan Oil, Macadamia Nut Oil, etc.  

You need a balance of protein and moisture because protein strengthens and moisture keeps your soft and supple. I suspect you are low on both since you're having issues with dryness and breakage.  

Hope that helps.  

Dana Sear

I can answer questions on all types of hairstyling, cutting, designing, coloring, corrective color, perming techniques,product knowledge, and in general, anything that has anything to do with hair. PLEASE NOTE: I am a professional designer and trainer. I do hair and teach advanced classes to licensed designers. I do not, under any circumstances, recommend doing chemical services including but not limited to relaxers, perms, color, highlights, or any other chemical service at home. I will not tell you how to use professional products nor will I tell you how to do your color at home. What I CAN do is arm you with current and accurate information and help you to be able to better communicate with your stylist/designer. I can also help you with what you need to do at home to maintain, protect, and treat your hair.

I have been a designer and educator for 31 years. I have been a salon consultant for Redken, affiliate trainer for ABBA Pure and Natural, Director of Education for my own salon and am currently a member of the design team and advanced trainer for my company. I specialize in corrective color, perming and style support, and image updates (make overs)

I have been actively licensed for 31 years. I actively participate in and teach cutting, perming, coloring, and business building classes. I am a REDKEN Certified Haircolorist, and REDKEN Specialist. I also have extensive training in Structure in Motion Cutting Techniques and Tigi Cutting.