Are kinky twist braids better for your hair than braids- they look loser and easier to take out? Can you braid or twist hair after getting it relaxed, and do my edges have to be braided or twisted when getting them (concerned about them being too tight and pulling)? When starting to transition should you cut your hair down to the shortest you feel comfortable with? I am asking  because it seems like the more relaxed ends\hair you have, the more susceptible you are to damage. How long does hair have to be to be braided or twisted? Is it okay to leave a braided up do in for a month?

I think you may be right about the tension. I believe that twists would not be as tight. excess tension can do a lot of damage to the hair as well as the scalp. You can get regular braids done less tightly as well. I realize that many don't like to do them looser because they won't hold as well or last as long, but what good is that if the end result is more damage? I don't believe in doing the "big chop" when transitioning unless it's a look you wanted anyway. If you can work with the varying textures, why not keep that extra hair until it's time to cut it for a new look? If the relaxed hair is not damaged it will be OK for a while. There is a chance of breakage at the line of demarcation, but I would wait and see before rushing to just cut. Either way it will not damage the new growth, so there is no worry there. The length for braids or twists varies on the style and the stylist. Some can work with shorter lengths than others. As far as how long you can leave braided styles in for, that depends. I don't like the idea of leaving it in for a month. The scalp really needs more stimulation that that to produce healthy hair. leaving the hair that long can keep the scalp from being exfoliated as happens with shampooing, the follicles can become clogged and sluggish, leading to poor hair growth. I would opt for no more than two weeks.
Best of luck to you.
Stephe (hairman)

I have been a Licensed cosmetologist in New York state for over 26 years, and am well versed in many areas of the cosmetology and appearance enhancement profession.Specialties however, are hair colour, corrective colour and permanent waving,including the chemical and technical aspects of these services and their effects on the hair.I`m glad to consult on any problems you are having concerning your hair.If I don`t have the answer, I`ll try to get it for you.

I've been licensed for cosmetology in New York State since 1974.I am a salon owner, and very active with the National Cosmetology Association and New York State Cosmetology Associaiton.I am one of only a few hundred people in the United States to be certi

For the field of cosmetology, to become acredited as a state educator for the New York State Education Committee or HairAmerica, you must submit to a full day exam, encompassing written exam, practical segments, lesson plans and presentations to prove our knowledge and teaching skills.The same applies for HAirAmerica.I also becam board certified as a coulourist in the same way, by submitting to a full day exam process.I am also antionally certified for cosmetology by the National Cosmetology Ass

I have received several educational awards from New York State for my educational work on a state and national level.
My web site, still under construction, in