Hairstyling/Hair Color

Question
My hairdresser moved. She left me with my color combination which was Goldwell Colorance 5n/6b.
I recently went to a new person and when she finished, my hair was really, really dark.  I don't know what happened?  Can you help please! With those numbers what color would you have expected my hair to be. Should i have asked for 6n/6b.  I wondered if the numbers were incorrect or i misunderstood my former hairdresser.   I have brown hair.  Thanks!

Answer
Hi Ticee,

There's no way for me to even guess if the formula was incorrect, or how light or dark you see a level 5 or 6. One of the problems with sharing formulas is, clients expect things to be the same.  It never is. What I think is a thin, fine section, to another designer may look like a chunk of hair. There's rally only
3 things that can go wrong with color. Formulation, application and timing. But that's all there really is to color too so those 3 things are huge.

Personally, when someone brings me a formula someone else created, I'll take a look at it, but I always analyze and compare to swatches, and do a full consultation. I have no idea if the client write the formula out, if the previous designer looked at the right one, or if there was typo or number/letter transposed.  I had a client come in a while back with a formula. She handed it to me, I read it and said, ok.  Let me grab some swatches. She said, no. I don't want anything changed. It took us a long time to get this right. I don't want to see any red. Well, the formula I was looking at was about 1 part brown to 3 parts red and even if I was terrible at Math, I would have known there was no way that was her formula based on what she had said to me.  I told her that. She insisted. I said, if you don't want to see a drop of red I. Your hair I'm not using this formula. The lady got angry, asked for another designer.  The lunch line? The other designer did what she asked, the lady flipped out because it was bright red and then didn't way to pay for and wanted it fixed.  Of course.

All that is to say, I don't trust formulas people bring me. And, there are so many factors that can affect the outcome, I can't really tell you why yours came out so dark. I don't have enough information here. What I can tell you is, it's not a big process to lighten it a splash without damaging your hair.  Malibu C has vegan treatments designed to help with this sort of thing that are very effective.

Don't do anything to your hair at home. If you the color done recently it will be easier to fix if you don't wait too long. Plus, if you wait to long, or do anything at home, the designer will not be obligated to fix it for you.  

I'm not sure what else I can do for you but I'd go back to the salon if it's just too dark.  

Hairstyling

Dana Sear