Hairstyling/perm doesn't last

Question
QUESTION: Why don't my perms last more than a few weeks? I am a healthy 68 year old woman with very fine hair. I never had perms until about8 years ago. Since then I have been using omniperm exothermic. They would last about 3 months. About 6 months ago I noticed they would only last about 2 months. The last one was 2 weeks ago, and it is already gone. What should I do?

ANSWER: JoAnne,
 Firstly, my apology for the delayed response. I was away and forgot to set the vacation mode.
There can be a few reasons for this. If it began at a certain time, there may have been something around that time that changed how your hair takes a perm. For instance, a new medication (such as for heart or blood pressure) that began around that time or just before the time your perms began not holding. Something else that can also cause this is the perm not being changed as your hair type changes. For instance, if your hair was tinted before and a tinted formula was being used, but then you stopped coloring your hair and let it grow out, natural hair would need a stronger perm than tinted hair, so the formula would have needed to be changed. From your inquiry there is nothing that gives me any information to say exactly what the cause is, so I suggest these prospects.
Other than this, it could also be technique. Firstly, make sure that a clarifying or chelating shampoo is being used before the perm to remove any build up or minerals from the hair. I would also suggest that after your perm is rinsed it should be blotted well and left for at least 15 minutes or more, blotting well every 5 minutes before the neutralizer is applied. This will help stabilize the hair for a more successful result. I hope this was able to provide some insight.
All the best to you.
Stephe (hairman)

QUESTION: This was a very helpful answer.

I live in an area with very hard water, so I looked for a clarifying or chelating shampoo.  I never realized there were so many choices. Can you suggest a brand?

Answer
Joanne,
 Any of them should work fine. It's just that you need the deep cleansing action that you get with these products. If you can fine a chelating shampoo (any brand) I would suggest that as your first choice. If not, any clarifying shampoo.
Best of luck to you.
Stephe (hairman)

Hairstyling

Hairman