For the past 5 years I've notice my hair thinning on the top of my head. I have black naturally soft hair for a guy(21). One time I had went to a barber in which my hairline was cut too far back and eversince I have notice it was never the same. Thinning hair does run in my family both women and men, on both sides of my family (mother and father). Now I have never used any styling products, just basic shampoo and conditionair. If I leave my hair a day without shampooing It is oily. Any reccomendations what I can do to try and lessen these effects or possible grow my hair a bit on the top to even it out.

Thanks in advance

A few things here. Thinning is often genetic and hereditary, so there is a good chance that you did inherit this gene, as it is evident on both sides, as you said. your growth has nothing to do with that haircut you got. That would have no effect on hair that did not grow yet, only the hair that was cut. This is just the way your hair would have grown then. Styling products also have no bearing. You can use all you want and they will not change how your hair grows, on;y how it looks for that day.
As for the oiliness, your scalp has a complexion just like the rest of your skin. In your case it happens to be oily. You can use a shampoo for oily hair and do a final rinse with cool water to close the pores a bit and lessen oil production temporarily. You may also want to check your diet. Oiliness in skin (and scalp) is often the result of diet high in fats and oils, seafood, nuts, chocolate, and other foods that can cause acne or other oily skin problems. I'll wager that if you change your dietary choices somewhat (you don't have to totally abstain from everything you like) you will see a difference in skin and scalp oils within a week or so.
Best of luck to you.
Stephe (hairman)

I have been a Licensed cosmetologist in New York state for over 26 years, and am well versed in many areas of the cosmetology and appearance enhancement profession.Specialties however, are hair colour, corrective colour and permanent waving,including the chemical and technical aspects of these services and their effects on the hair.I`m glad to consult on any problems you are having concerning your hair.If I don`t have the answer, I`ll try to get it for you.

I've been licensed for cosmetology in New York State since 1974.I am a salon owner, and very active with the National Cosmetology Association and New York State Cosmetology Associaiton.I am one of only a few hundred people in the United States to be certi

For the field of cosmetology, to become acredited as a state educator for the New York State Education Committee or HairAmerica, you must submit to a full day exam, encompassing written exam, practical segments, lesson plans and presentations to prove our knowledge and teaching skills.The same applies for HAirAmerica.I also becam board certified as a coulourist in the same way, by submitting to a full day exam process.I am also antionally certified for cosmetology by the National Cosmetology Ass

I have received several educational awards from New York State for my educational work on a state and national level.
My web site, still under construction, in