Hairstyling/hair growing

Question
shag hair
shag hair  

shorter hair
shorter hair  
Hi Hairman,

Recently a stylist cut it shorter than I asked her to.

So I'm growing it again. I want to get it cut/styled like in the first attached pic. What should I tell my new stylist so she can cut/style it to look like that? I want it that length, but I don't want it to look like a big mess. I want it pretty long, but not looking like I don't take care of my hair.

I took the second pic about two weeks ago. Judging by the second I've attached, can you tell me about how long it'll take to grow my hair to the proper length?

Thanks,
Alex

PS - if you can't answer this question, can you please try to find out for me? I'd really appreciate it!

Answer
Alex,
 Actually, you won't need anything done for at least 2 months. At that time bring the picture of your goal style to a stylist (obviously not the last one) and show them what you want and explain that you want to maintain a styled look during the transition. They should at first only have to cut a slight amount on top to maintain proportion during the growing out, then just the top and bottom perimeter as the bottom starts to get longer than you want, until finally all the hair will be at the desired lengths. Since the sides will require at least 2 inches of growth, you are looking at 4-5 months. Hair usually grows about 3/8 to 1/2 inch a month.
Best of luck to you.
Stephe (hairman)

Hairstyling

Hairman