Hairstyling/long or short

Hello Dana!

I'm a 35 year old guy with medium length hair (about 7 inches long). I wear it in a sort of messy shag, sometimes with a side part, sometimes more forward.

My question is about natural hair styles. I googled it, but all I'm finding is the "long, parted in the middle" style.

I've never grown my hair anywhere near that long. If I grow it long, like past my chin, will I still have to put styling products in it, or can I "wash and wear"? I'm getting tired of taking an extra 20 minutes before work to blow dry and style my hair...putting forming cream in it, blow drying, hair spray for windy days, all that, just to give it that "bed head" appearance and make my hair look like I didn't style it at all!

Thing is, I have thick hair. It tends to get really bushy and "big" and poofy if I don't get it cut once in awhile. But if I get it trimmed, won't I lose all the length I grew out?

If I decide to grow it long, is there any way of trimming it so it has a sort of natural "hanging" look, without being all bushy and Afro-ish? Is it possible to get it thinned out without losing any length?

Or maybe there are other "natural" styles you can recommend that don't require me to use a handful of styling products or grow my hair down past my chin?

Thanking you,

Hi Kris,

First of all, sorry this response is so late. For some reason, I didn't see it in my email.  

First of all, there's no such thing as wash and go hair if it's longer than an inch to two so as long as you want to maintain some length, be prepared to style it, at least a little every morning and 2. Hair must be trimmed on a regular basis.  For some, that's every 3-4 weeks.  (I get mine cut every 2 weeks). For others, that's every couple of months or so.  But if you want to maintain the shape, and have it as easy to style as possible, every 4-6 weeks.  You may be able to get by 8 weeks if it's long enough.  

Yes, hair can be thinned without effecting the length but you do need to get the ends dusted from time to time.  Without being able to see your hair, I can't really make any style recommendations. And, if your hair is curly, I would recommend going to someone who specializes in working with curly hair.  

Dana Sear

I can answer questions on all types of hairstyling, cutting, designing, coloring, corrective color, perming techniques,product knowledge, and in general, anything that has anything to do with hair. PLEASE NOTE: I am a professional designer and trainer. I do hair and teach advanced classes to licensed designers. I do not, under any circumstances, recommend doing chemical services including but not limited to relaxers, perms, color, highlights, or any other chemical service at home. I will not tell you how to use professional products nor will I tell you how to do your color at home. What I CAN do is arm you with current and accurate information and help you to be able to better communicate with your stylist/designer. I can also help you with what you need to do at home to maintain, protect, and treat your hair.

I have been a designer and educator for 31 years. I have been a salon consultant for Redken, affiliate trainer for ABBA Pure and Natural, Director of Education for my own salon and am currently a member of the design team and advanced trainer for my company. I specialize in corrective color, perming and style support, and image updates (make overs)

I have been actively licensed for 31 years. I actively participate in and teach cutting, perming, coloring, and business building classes. I am a REDKEN Certified Haircolorist, and REDKEN Specialist. I also have extensive training in Structure in Motion Cutting Techniques and Tigi Cutting.