Hairstyling/I've never had a hairstyle....

Question
Face
Face  

Style
Style  
I'd like to begin by apologizing. I wasn't sure if this was the right medium to find the answer I've been searching for over 10 years, but desperate times...

To cut straight to the chase, I'm in love.
And this love has led me to change my lifestyle around.
Lose weight.
Organize my time.
Mature.

And part of this improvement includes my image.
Now I understand most women aren't to superficial. But I haven't seen her in about a year and I want to feel and LOOK good for her.

One of my biggest obstacles is this mess of a hair I have. Ever since I was a teen I've never found the haircut that suits me, which in turn has led me to rarely comb it. I buy some 5 dollar wax, and spike it up for the most part, but I'm not that 18 year old kid anymore.

I'll be an English teacher in September.

So, my question to you is:

Dana, based on your expertise,

What hairstyle would you recommend?

I really do hope you can help me out.
I attached some pictures of my face and sides, as well as a full body so you can have and idea of my style.

Thank you for your time.

Answer
Hi Ruben,

First of all, and most important, congratulations on your happiness. Second, Kudos for finding the  motivation to grow and take charge of your life.. AND, an English teacher! How cool is that! Congratulations!

As for your hair, your biggest issue is going to be trying to control the curl. So my advice is not to attempt it. Use the curl to your advantage. Your face shape is oval and balanced so you really can wear your hair any way you want to and it will still look good.  Without being able to see you in person, I can only guess and make suggestions but I like the fullness in the top with the short sides.  If you were to take that $5 wax and apply it to your hair damp, run your fingers through it and allow it to curl, I 'd think it'd look smashing.  Curls work best when your hair is cut by someone who actually knows how to cut curly hair. So, if you can find either a DevaCurl  Salon or American Crew salon in your area, I'd go there and just let someone work their magic. Tell them you'd like to be able to either wear it curly or  spike it up and they'll know what to do.

You can use the salon finders on the  respective web sites or just good Deva Cut or American Crew and you should find salons in your area.  I would look for an American Crew salon first because they specialize in men's cuts and they're amazing!  There's a salon finder here: https://www.americancrew.com/hair-trends

Your best bet is to go in for a consultation first. Most reputable salons offer them complimentary. If you like the ideas you get, you can give them a go. If not, you're under no obligation and can have another consultation with someone else. Your style seems casual and on trend and I really think American Crew would be a good fit for you. They have photo galleries on their web site that will give you an idea of the kind of work they do. Kind of GQ meets Baseball.

Good luck to you and let me know if there's anything else I can help you with.  

Hairstyling

Dana Sear