Hairstyling/Perm odor and hair color

Question
About a month aho, I got my first perm in 20 years. While I love the perm, it appears that the solution wasn't rinsed completely before applying the neutralized and now I have this odd odor of breakfast sausage and corn chips in my hair. The perm solution smelled of sage but I don't know what kind it was. I was wondering if permanent hair color would open the shaft enough to release the odor. I really don't want to continue smelling this way but I don't want the perm undone either.I have been considering a color anyway so that would be an acceptable alternative for me if it would work.

Answer
Debi,
 Sometimes, even with copious amounts of rinsing there can still be residual odor. If you want to color your hair, unless it's a high lift blonde, it should not harm the perm. I would suggest however, trying a chelating shampoo to remove the smell. This is a deep cleaning shampoo that can help somewhat. Something else that you can try, as strange as it sounds, is Febreeze. Spray it on towel dried hair, leave for about 10 minutes and rinse. I know it sounds crazy, but hair is like a type of fiber and it actually does often work.
Best of luck to you.
Stephe (hairman)  

Hairstyling

Hairman