Hairstyling/Going from Light/Medium Golden Blonde to Ash Blonde

Question
Dear expert,

I have been dying my hair light/medium golden blonde for a few years. My natural hair color is dark blonde with golden highlights. I have been trying for months to dye my hair a nice natural medium ash blonde, but no dye seems to take out the gold.

I have never bleached my hair, but it is dyed to a quite light golden blonde.

How can I achieve a natural medium ash blonde?

Answer
Danielle,
 There are actually a couple of issues here. First is your natural colour. Unless your hair is naturally a light blonde it is very difficult if possible at all to achieve a true ash blonde in a single process. It will always show some warmth. Achieving this, assuming that the natural colour is light enough, would require a higher developer volume. The only other way is to pre-lighten (bleach) your hair to a level that will show that ash blonde that you desire. The other issue is the previously coloured hair. Since tint won't lift tint, using a lighter ash blonde over golden blonde colour will usually not work, although there are exceptions to every rule. Again in this instance, lightening would be required first on the previously coloured hair as well.
 I would really suggest having this done professionally.
Best of luck to you.
Stephe (hairman)  

Hairstyling

Hairman