Hairstyling/salon perm

I have shoulder blade length hair that is layered. It's in good shape for 60 year old hair. I only get a perm every couple years and always at the same salon. The only one in my small town. I get body waves then wash & divide my hair into 6 sections, twist into "little buns" instead of rollers and the curls last until I wash it. This time my perm didn't take. The stylist couldn't offer any reason why it didn't work but said we could do it again in a month. Any idea why it didn't work and how long should I wait to try again? I don't want to stress my hair and I'm worried she is just trying to make it right with me. Thank you for your time, Mary

There are several reasons why it may not have taken properly this time. You don't mention whether you have color of any kind on your hair. That could play a big part, especially depending on the type of color. Other than that it could have been several things. The perm lotion could have not been applied thoroughly enough to reach the ends of the hair. The perm may not have been processed long enough. The neutralizer may nit have been applied well enough. Or the hair may have been too wet when the neutralizer went on.
 I would suggest that after they rinse your perm they wait at least 15 minutes before applying the neutralizer and blot well with paper towels every 5 minutes to remove moisture. That way there is not excess moisture to dilute the neutralizer.
Also, before starting the perm the hair should be clarified to remove anything on the hair that may affect the process.
Best of luck to you.
Stephe (Hairman)

I have been a Licensed cosmetologist in New York state for over 26 years, and am well versed in many areas of the cosmetology and appearance enhancement profession.Specialties however, are hair colour, corrective colour and permanent waving,including the chemical and technical aspects of these services and their effects on the hair.I`m glad to consult on any problems you are having concerning your hair.If I don`t have the answer, I`ll try to get it for you.

I've been licensed for cosmetology in New York State since 1974.I am a salon owner, and very active with the National Cosmetology Association and New York State Cosmetology Associaiton.I am one of only a few hundred people in the United States to be certi

For the field of cosmetology, to become acredited as a state educator for the New York State Education Committee or HairAmerica, you must submit to a full day exam, encompassing written exam, practical segments, lesson plans and presentations to prove our knowledge and teaching skills.The same applies for HAirAmerica.I also becam board certified as a coulourist in the same way, by submitting to a full day exam process.I am also antionally certified for cosmetology by the National Cosmetology Ass

I have received several educational awards from New York State for my educational work on a state and national level.
My web site, still under construction, in