Hairstyling/perm before anestesthsia

Question
Hi, I hope you can help me. I am scheduled to have my hair permed day after tomorrow. Saturday at 11:00. I have since been scheduled to receive steroid transforaminal blocks under IV sedation following Monday @ 9:00AM.  I  have not permed my hair for 7 months.  I am not sure if I should have the perm now or wait.  I will be having this same procedure done again two more times in August.  also I had two done in June.  I am going to a new stylist who wants to proceed  using a redkin perm. Prior perm was Paul Mitchell (what I was told) I am very skeptical.  My hair is fine.  It is just below the shoulder.  I use sexy hair shampoo and conditioner.  I also use Paul Mitchell styling aids for curly hair.  Natural hair is very straight and soft.  I also use its a 10 with and without keratin each wash. I color but do not run color through the ends without  adding shampoo to the formula.  I use logics and 30 volume to lift.  hair is somewhat dry  from using curling iron. There is perm on my ends yet of the length.  I have cut most off the top and crown and just below.  Normally I would proceed  but I am not sure due to the perm being a little less than 48 hours prior to my procedure.  Should I go ahead with perm on Saturday or do I need to wait?  The stylist said it should be fine.  She intends to use a clarifying shampoo  but said nothing about needing a protein treatment.  If I were to do this should I ask her to wrap with a protein spray?  My perms are fairly tighter curl..  Use white and gray.  Also was wandering if option 2 perm would be better or what you would advise?  Thank  You Kindly

Answer
Mariann,
 It sounds like your stylists knows what she is doing. A protein  treatment and protein spray are often not indicated. In fact, in many cases, the excess protein actually makes the hair more brittle. I will suggest using a moisturizing conditioner on your hair when you shampoo before the perm. As for the perm itself, allow her to use what she is comfortable with. She knows the products she works with, their benefits and limitations and what will work for your hair type.
 With regard to getting the perm before anesthesia, the only thing I will suggest is a longer air oxidizing period before she neutralizes the perm. Once the perm is rinsed and blotted, she should allow it to sit for at least 15-20 minutes, blotting every 5 minutes or so, before applying the neutralizer, then neutralize as usual. This will allow the hair to stabilize more fully before neutralizing for more lasting quality, to offset any worry about the sedation.
Best of luck to you.
Stephe (hairman)

Hairstyling

Hairman