Hairstyling/razor cuts

Question
hair
hair  
hello hairman i need to ask you about a specific style.

look at the pic, that's how i want to cut my hair. shaggy but not puffy or volumized.

i was reading that i should tell my barber to cut it into long razor layers, not blunt edges. is that right?

and i need to know what product to buy. i need my hair to be loose and matte, but NOT "big" and puffy like it's the 80s.

here's some ideas, can you tell me what works best with this style? and can you please tell me how to style it (dry hair, damp hair, comb, brush, my fingers, whatever)? i've tried a few of these but the others seem promising, maybe you can be nice enough to point me in the right direction. am i maybe using these products wrong for this type of style?

- fuko quicksand. i hear amazing things about this but i've never tried it, have you? it seems awesome for this type of piecey style

- jonathan "dirt", never tried it, hear awesome things

- american crew fiber. but when i use it, it seems really stiff and it gets flaky

- american crew grooming cream. really heavy and oily and sticky, and makes it look wet even when i use it on dry hair

- garnier "surf wax". pretty good, but sticky and it makes my hair puffy

- rock on clay. really really stiff, makes my hair dry and puffy once again

- lush dirty hair cream. same as the rock on clay

- old spice "unruly". pretty good but still sort of gives me that wet look

- gel. no way

- mousse. no way

i was reading you can use dry shampoo or hair powder to give it that piecey, separated, slept-in bedhead look. should i give this a try? do you know of any that work well for this?

thanks bud!

jon

Answer
Jon,
 All you need to do is bring the picture to your stylist. If you have to tell them HOW to cut it, you're going to the wrong person.
 For this style you'll want to start with gel or mousse on damp, towel dried hair.Start with a flat brush, not round, to blow in the directions, brushing from the top, not from underneath, as raising the hair to dry it will give you more volume that you don't want. Once dry, apply a matte wax with your fingers to break up the style and give the final direction you want.
 Most of the products you mention I have never worked with, and I really prefer not recommending specific products, as this is very subjective. Something I think is great, you may hate. It's influenced by many things, like your hair texture and length, your water and other things. Although you say no way to gel or mousse, that is what you need for initial stylability. The wax just finishes the style and gives some hold. You want a medium hold gel or mousse.
 I wouldn't use dry shampoo for that. it could make the hair dull looking.
Best of luck to you.
Stephe (hairman)

Hairstyling

Hairman