Hairstyling/Bleach starting to burn badly

Question
QUESTION: I've been getting my hair professionally lightened at a hairdresser to different shades of blonde for over a year now, but recently the bleach has started to burn more than usual and the bleaching process is quite painful. Is this a sign to give my hair a break? I have level 3-4 brown hair and have tried various blonde shades from level 7-10 (light blonde to white/platinum blonde).

What can I do to make the bleaching process less painful? My hairdresser usually uses 30 volume developer and bl5 or bl9 bleach. I really enjoy being blonde and think it suits my skin tone (pale, cool) and personality a lot more. If my hair needs a break I would probably just get my hair dyed a lighter shade of brown or dark blonde (hopefully no bleach just colour) with some blonde streaks on the ends instead. I want to stay blonde as long as possible but the bleaching process doesn't seem to get less painful. Thanks for your assistance.

ANSWER: Mason,
  Firstly, I hope your colorist is using 30 and not something higher to get the lift you want from your natural level, or worse yet, processing your lightener under a dryer or other heat source. Either could cause additional discomfort during and even after the process. It's actually better to avoid additional heat and let it process at room temp. Although it's slower, it's more comfortable and less damaging. Another factor is your scalp. Especially for more sensitive scalp, you want to avoid shampooing at least two days before your color service. Three would be better. The natural oils or sebum actually shield the scalp from the chemicals and make it less prone to irritation.I hope these tips give you the insight you need to keep the blonde you like so well.
Best of luck to you.
Stephe (Hairman)

QUESTION: As far as I'm aware they always use 30 volume developer. They do make me sit under a steamer to process the bleach faster, I'm usually under the steamer for 10-30 minutes depending on the shade I desire. I find that the steamer helps because it gets rid of the painful burning sensation a bit faster. If I was to sit with the bleach on with no steamer it would be painful for longer. I have gone without shampooing my hair for a week or 2-3 days before and to me it makes no difference, the bleach still burns just as much. I have heard about using coconut oil on your hair before bleaching it will make the process less painful is this true? I've tried argan oil on some areas and it hasn't made a difference. How can I keep the blonde but give my hair a break? Maybe just add some streaks or try a darker shade?

Answer
Mason,
 I am not an advocate of anything that speeds up the process, as it usually increases the irritation as well.
 I would definitely suggest getting away from full head bleach. A heavy foiling with whatever color you choose in between would give you a blonde effect while keeping the bleach off the scalp. I think that's the safest and smartest way to go for you.
Best of luck to you.
Stephe

Hairstyling

Hairman