Hall & Oates/When and where was Daryl named R&B Artist of the Year?

When H&O were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2014, Daryl made this quote, "The biggest honor of my career was when I won R&B Artist of the Year back in the 1970s. I look at that as a major honor." So at what ceremony and when was he given this honor? I tried looking it up, but Google only lead me back to this quote. Daryl has a great memory it seems so I trust him in this, but maybe time has made the details foggy. The only evidence of H&O being honored for something in the 70's was when they were nominated for best new group at the 1977 Rock Music Awards. I could be wrong, though.

Hi Jadon,

Thanks for writing in. definitely have me stumped on this one.  

First, I would presume that Daryl meant to say that the award was given to BOTH him and John, and not just Daryl (since the two of them were a highly successful act)....and I find it unlikely that Daryl alone would have received an award without John.  Were you at the ceremony that night?  I was, but I'm afraid I missed hearing that comment--they were having so many issues with the audio that my seats were quite far from the stage.  But it was a blessing to be there.

Second, Daryl and John won several American Music Awards in the 1980s, but not under the R&B category.  But I don't think Daryl would have confused this.

Third, my "educated guess/hunch" (for what that's worth) tells me that Daryl and John would have received an "R&B Artist of the Year" award some time after the release of "Sara Smile" in 1976, and the re-release of "She's Gone" that same year.  

And I'm taking a shot in the dark here....perhaps one of the popular R&B magazines of the time would have given the award to them.  There were quite a few back then.  With Daryl being a big reader and someone who stays on top of the journalistic press (he often referred to things that were written about him, even responding in print to things that appeared in *Rolling Stone*), I'm certain this award was something bestowed in that vein.

If you really want to pursue this further, I would recommend going to a brick-and-mortar library and see if there is anything in archival collections.  Depending on where you live, Bowling Green State University in Ohio has one of the largest collections of music magazines in the world, next to the Library of Congress.  You could also try the New York Public Library, or several libraries in Philly (Temple University and University of PA come to mind) as there are strong black cultural resource collections in those libraries.

Good luck and let me know if you come up with anything!

Hall & Oates

Timothy D. Hufnagle

I have an extensive background in the music of Daryl Hall and John Oates. I`ve been a devoted fan since 1984, and my collection specializes in the music of these two artists. My "expertise" would span all the way back to the late 1960s (when they did session work with other artists and were in other bands) up to the present day. My "expertise" also includes knowledge of their collaborative efforts with other artists, compilations, singles, and albums. Unfortunately, I can not help anyone who has questions about concert dates (past, present, or future), Hall & Oates souvenirs and memorabilia, radio shows, or bootleg recordings. I also will not answer any questions pertaining to Daryl and John`s personal lives. I'm a firm believer that if you want information on someone`s personal life, go ask them yourself. :-)

I have been a collector of popular music since I was about 4 years old. I was a professional mobile disc jockey for 4 years when I was in my 20s. I've met both Daryl and John on several occasions. I've interviewed numerous musicians, producers, and industry personnel who have worked with H&O. I am a webmaster for my ongoing research website:

I currently belong to the "Hall & Oates All Access Club," and periodically contribute to the online Discussion Forum. I also used to be a long-time member of the following three Hall and Oates Fan Clubs (when the organizations were still in existence): "RSI (Rock and Soul International: The Official Daryl Hall and John Oates Fan Club)," "In Touch" (the UK Hall and Oates Fan Club), and "Link" (the Australian Hall & Oates Fan Club).

For Hall and Oates: I made contributions to "RSI" newsletters, in "Link" newsletters, in *Lexicon* magazine, and in "Elephant Talk" online mailing list digests pertaining to Daryl Hall's work with Robert Fripp (of King Crimson fame). My research was mentioned on the air at KOST 103.5 (Los Angeles, CA) in October 2002. I worked on the 2006 Varese Sarabande CD compilation, "The Philadelphia Years" (I assembled the discography notes along with some other aspects).

I have a B.A. in Integrative Arts from the Pennsylvania State University, and my degree focused on Popular Culture and Creative Writing. I also have a M.A. in Popular Culture from Bowling Green State University (OH). I taught popular culture courses while I was a grad student, and after being graduated, was hired as an instructor for the Dept. of Popular Culture. I also worked for the BGSU Music Library and Sound Recordings Archives (one of the largest public archives of popular sound recordings in the USA--second only to the Library of Congress), and for the Ray and Pat Browne Library for Popular Culture Studies.