Ham Radio/cb radio install question

I have a cb radio I want to hard wire into my truck. It has three wires, a black one, a red one, and an orange one with a fuse. I know where to connect the red and black wires. Do I connect the orange wire to the positive terminal like the red wire?

My best guess, Phil, is that the orange wire gets connected to something that is only live when the ignition is on.  I think you connect EITHER the red wire to battery positive or the orange wire to ignition switch positive.

Try it out before you hardwire.

Chris Bushman
Colfax, CA

Ham Radio

Chris Bushman

I have been an amateur radio operator for about 41 years.

In real life I managed a small motion picture film lab in Hollywood. I've been a fireman, a teacher of English in Okinawa, a personal computer tutor. I am an Advanced Class Ham radio operator using my originally issued callsign WB6EEQ. I have operated for extended periods of time from Okinawa (KR6FX & KR6OP), Texas (K5VXG), and Mississippi (K5TYP). While in the Air Force, I was a Manual Morse Radio Intercept Operator.

BS Zoology, UC Davis

Member, Society of Motion Picture/Television Engineers - Member, American Radio Relay League - Member, Quarter Century Wireless Assn. - President, Zen Nippon Airinkai, So Cal Chapter - Member, Maltose Falcons Homebrewing Society - Alumni, American Brewers' Guild

I have held Conditional, General, and Advanced Class Ham radio licenses. Attended UC Davis to study Zoology. Go figure!?