Ham Radio/inherited ham radio

Dear  Chris,

I recently inherited a ham radio and am wondering if you are familiar with it.  It is a Sony World Band Receiver ICF-SW100, serial #17200.  Do you have any idea how I could track down a manual, and is there is a way for me to track the age of the radio with the serial number?  I have spent a lot of time online trying to figure out both of these questions, and have had no luck.  

thanks so much for you time,

Well, Linzi, it's not really a ham radio, it's a general coverage shortwave receiver, which can receive ham signals as well as lots of other stuff.

You can download the manual at...

There is a users group that you can join to get your questions answered at...

Serial numbers started with 10000 in 1994 and serial number 78340 was produced in October 1997, so your radio is likely around 1995.

Chris Bushman
Colfax, California  

Ham Radio

Chris Bushman

I have been an amateur radio operator for about 41 years.

In real life I managed a small motion picture film lab in Hollywood. I've been a fireman, a teacher of English in Okinawa, a personal computer tutor. I am an Advanced Class Ham radio operator using my originally issued callsign WB6EEQ. I have operated for extended periods of time from Okinawa (KR6FX & KR6OP), Texas (K5VXG), and Mississippi (K5TYP). While in the Air Force, I was a Manual Morse Radio Intercept Operator.

BS Zoology, UC Davis

Member, Society of Motion Picture/Television Engineers - Member, American Radio Relay League - Member, Quarter Century Wireless Assn. - President, Zen Nippon Airinkai, So Cal Chapter - Member, Maltose Falcons Homebrewing Society - Alumni, American Brewers' Guild

I have held Conditional, General, and Advanced Class Ham radio licenses. Attended UC Davis to study Zoology. Go figure!?