Ham Radio/Quad Band Tranceivers

I just got my license (Technician Class)and I am looking for a radio that will allow me to utilize the full potential of my license. I am thinking of a quad band with SSB and CW. Is there some makes and models you might recommend? This will be my first radio and I would like it to be a quality rig. Thank you.

Sorry for the tardy reply, Michael, it must have gotten caught in my spam folder.

In order to "utilize the full potential" of your license, you would need a 10 band radio.  So, I'm not sure which 4 bands you are thinking about.  I'm thinking you might mean a quad band radio for VHF/UHF.  This would be a good choice for a new ham because it lets you meet other local hams to broaden your horizons and antenna requirements are minimal.

I use a Yaesu VX8RD.  It is an extremely versatile HT that covers 6m, 2m, 220mhz and 440mhz.  It has so many functions that it will keep you busy and interested for a LONG time.  It also functions as a general coverage receiver and a scanner.  As a bonus, it's waterproof.

Once you meet new local hams, you'll be able pick their brains about an HF rig.  The options are plentiful and it's hard to go wrong.  You don't need to spend a fortune unless you want to.  Generally, the more expensive rigs have bells and whistles that you can live without.

Let me leave you with one bit of critical advice.  The most important part of any ham radio system is the antenna.  With a great antenna, almost any radio will work great.  With a lousy antenna, a great radio is a foot warmer.

Chris Bushman
Colfax, CA

Ham Radio

Chris Bushman

I have been an amateur radio operator for about 41 years.

In real life I managed a small motion picture film lab in Hollywood. I've been a fireman, a teacher of English in Okinawa, a personal computer tutor. I am an Advanced Class Ham radio operator using my originally issued callsign WB6EEQ. I have operated for extended periods of time from Okinawa (KR6FX & KR6OP), Texas (K5VXG), and Mississippi (K5TYP). While in the Air Force, I was a Manual Morse Radio Intercept Operator.

BS Zoology, UC Davis

Member, Society of Motion Picture/Television Engineers - Member, American Radio Relay League - Member, Quarter Century Wireless Assn. - President, Zen Nippon Airinkai, So Cal Chapter - Member, Maltose Falcons Homebrewing Society - Alumni, American Brewers' Guild

I have held Conditional, General, and Advanced Class Ham radio licenses. Attended UC Davis to study Zoology. Go figure!?