Ham Radio/Programming

I am waiting for my BaoFeng UV-5R+ radio to arrive. I have been hearing of a program called CHIRP used to program. I have tried to understand it but I am so new to this that I find it very confusing. Can you give me a simple step by step as to how this works? I'm lost.

I use something comparable to CHIRP, but from a different supplier. What these programming software packages do is make it easy to enter a bunch of frequency data to the radio.

There is nothing that CHIRP can do that you can't do directly on the radio, but the radios are so small and complex that using an external program makes it much more user friendly.  You set up something like an Excel spreadsheet with all your freq data, then upload it to the radio. Very simple.

It's good to be able to do it directly on the radio, but when I haven't done it for a while it takes me a LONG time to figure it out and often requires that I go back to the instruction manual.

Using these programs requires having a special programming cable.  That cable is sometimes included with the radio, but not always. You need to verify that you get one. Mine was extra.

Chris Bushman
Colfax, CA

Ham Radio

Chris Bushman

I have been an amateur radio operator for about 41 years.

In real life I managed a small motion picture film lab in Hollywood. I've been a fireman, a teacher of English in Okinawa, a personal computer tutor. I am an Advanced Class Ham radio operator using my originally issued callsign WB6EEQ. I have operated for extended periods of time from Okinawa (KR6FX & KR6OP), Texas (K5VXG), and Mississippi (K5TYP). While in the Air Force, I was a Manual Morse Radio Intercept Operator.

BS Zoology, UC Davis

Member, Society of Motion Picture/Television Engineers - Member, American Radio Relay League - Member, Quarter Century Wireless Assn. - President, Zen Nippon Airinkai, So Cal Chapter - Member, Maltose Falcons Homebrewing Society - Alumni, American Brewers' Guild

I have held Conditional, General, and Advanced Class Ham radio licenses. Attended UC Davis to study Zoology. Go figure!?