Ham Radio/Question on what is discussed by operators

Hi- I've been reading about amateur radio and understand that over air topics include weather, radio theory and emergencies.  Is that really all that is allowed though?  If it's just these topics, doesn't it get old?

Sounds like you've been reading some boring stuff. The only conversations that are NOT permitted are those of a commercial nature. You just can't use Ham Radio to conduct business.

You can discuss just about anything that interests you. Sometimes you get into an interesting conversation and can get lost in it for hours. If you happen to contact a rare station that everyone wants to make contact with, your conversation will be limited to callsign and signal report - a few seconds worth.

I promise you, Doug, you will not have a shortage of interesting stuff to chat about.

Ham Radio

Chris Bushman

I have been an amateur radio operator for about 41 years.

In real life I managed a small motion picture film lab in Hollywood. I've been a fireman, a teacher of English in Okinawa, a personal computer tutor. I am an Advanced Class Ham radio operator using my originally issued callsign WB6EEQ. I have operated for extended periods of time from Okinawa (KR6FX & KR6OP), Texas (K5VXG), and Mississippi (K5TYP). While in the Air Force, I was a Manual Morse Radio Intercept Operator.

BS Zoology, UC Davis

Member, Society of Motion Picture/Television Engineers - Member, American Radio Relay League - Member, Quarter Century Wireless Assn. - President, Zen Nippon Airinkai, So Cal Chapter - Member, Maltose Falcons Homebrewing Society - Alumni, American Brewers' Guild

I have held Conditional, General, and Advanced Class Ham radio licenses. Attended UC Davis to study Zoology. Go figure!?