Ham Radio/Hamstick antenna

QUESTION: I am moving to a retirement community and must clean out my barn.  I found a "Hamstick antenna " with large 3 x 3-inch magnet mobile roof mount.  Antenna appears unused and was probably purchased 10-12 years ago, when placed in my barn.  I have lost contact with the original owner. I find nothing on the web searching for this model number, or Lakeview Company. Can you at least tell me the frequency range of this antenna...or provide me with other specs?  Would any ham be interested in this antenna? It would seem a shame to scrap this antenna.  Any information you can give me will be sincerely appreciated.  Thank you.

ANSWER: Very popular style, inexpensive antenna.  The Lakeview company went out of business but the antenna is still sold as "Hamstick style".  They are single band antennas with replaceable rods to change bands.  There is probably a number on the rod part, 10,12,15,17,20,40,or 80 along with other letter(s), like maybe F20 ?  The numbers refer to the Ham band by wavelength.

10 - 28mhz
12 - 24mhz
15 - 21mhz
17 - 18mhz
20 - 14mhz
40 - 7mhz
80 - 3.5mhz

The antenna type is still sold, so there are Hams who would still like to have one, especially if there are extra whips for different freqs.

Enjoy your retirement.

Chris Bushman
Colfax, CA

QUESTION: Hello Chris,
Thank you for your speedy and informative reply.  Unfortunately I can find no indication on the antenna of its band.  The only printing is on the shrink-tube overwrap "HAMSTICK TM BY LAKEVIEW CO. INC ".  The antenna is 35" long and the adjustable steel rod on top is 20" long.  Does that help?  I would like to advertise this antenna on Craigslist or eBay so that some ham will get use out of it.

Unfortunately, for this type of antenna, the length is not a good indication of band. The wire windings around the shaft make it electrically longer than its physical length. For instance if it were an 80 meter antenna without the windings, it would be over 60 feet long. Models for different bands merely have different windings.

An advanced Ham could use a "grid dip meter" to determine the resonant freq.  If there is a Ham store or CB store near you, they might be able to help.  

Ham Radio

Chris Bushman

I have been an amateur radio operator for about 41 years.

In real life I managed a small motion picture film lab in Hollywood. I've been a fireman, a teacher of English in Okinawa, a personal computer tutor. I am an Advanced Class Ham radio operator using my originally issued callsign WB6EEQ. I have operated for extended periods of time from Okinawa (KR6FX & KR6OP), Texas (K5VXG), and Mississippi (K5TYP). While in the Air Force, I was a Manual Morse Radio Intercept Operator.

BS Zoology, UC Davis

Member, Society of Motion Picture/Television Engineers - Member, American Radio Relay League - Member, Quarter Century Wireless Assn. - President, Zen Nippon Airinkai, So Cal Chapter - Member, Maltose Falcons Homebrewing Society - Alumni, American Brewers' Guild

I have held Conditional, General, and Advanced Class Ham radio licenses. Attended UC Davis to study Zoology. Go figure!?