Hard Drive Problems/random seek failed - d drive full

PowerEdge Tech wrote at 2012-12-05 16:23:37

Follow up

"Thanks. I did try to seek itunes library from external hardrive but it always loads back onto the main computer to play. Plus you lose data in the external harddrive. Would you purchase new computer or have someone put in new harddrive?"

Depending on your version of iTunes, you can usually change the location of the iTunes "media" folder, by going to Tools/Settings, Advanced, and changing the location to a folder on your external drive.

As for a new drive vs. a new computer ... you will undoubtedly have a better computing experience with Windows 7 or 8 on a faster computer, but the cost difference is pretty high.  A new drive is between $80-100 for the size you currently have, but then you would need to backup your current data, reinstall Windows, your programs, and your data ... or pay someone (most shops charge $40-60/hour, normally takes 2-4 hours) to do it for you.

Good luck.

Hard Drive Problems

PowerEdge Tech

I can answer questions about server hardware RAID and general storage for servers and PC's - hard drive issues, troubleshooting, advice, specs, and information. While some apparent drive/RAID array failures can be recovered, I can only provide advice/recommendations in the event of catastrophic data loss. I don't assist in actually recovering from this type of data loss on this forum.

I worked as an analyst in Dell server support for 2 years, and have since worked with many Dell PowerEdge servers. I am currently employed as IT Manager. I am currently ranked in the top 5 All-Time in Server Hardware and Hard Drives in a very popular and large forum similar to AllExperts.

I have a BS in Computer Science and have earned the following certifications: CompTIA Security+, A+, Project+; CIW Web Design, Database Specialist; Microsoft Windows 7; Dell DCSE Server. I am also an expert in Windows 7, Servers, and Hard Drives (I don't normally do XP - not because I don't know it inside and out, but because I have "retired" personal support for XP, and I want to see it die :)).