Hard Drive Problems/random seek failed - d drive full

Question
Our monthly hp test says random seek failed.  I have cleaned up as much as this 54 year old women knows how to.  My husband has 1000's of songs on itunes library.  Because the computer seems full could this be causing problems?
I have backed up everything to a lacie hard drive. (I think it worked, hard to find stuff)  I manually move pictures over to Lacie.  
HP C: space free 277 gb & total size 454
d factory image says: 11.1 gb with only 1.27 gb free
We have HP Windows Vista  model a6500f 4 GB 64-bit 2007
I have delete files, fragmanted, disk cleanup
Do you think moving music files to lacie, which i think i have will help?  The only problem after you move music it doesn't show in itunes like my husband like.  All the info disappears when you put on Lacie.  Thank you

Answer
Hi Nicola!

Having a full hard drive CAN cause problems, but not at the point you are talking about.  You seldom need to worry about low disk space causing system problems until you are approaching less than 10% of your total disk space being free.  On a 500GB drive, like yours, you are unlikely to ever experience problems from a full disk until you have less than 10GB free.  Your recovery partition doesn't matter, as it is only used for reinstalling Windows and does not affect system operation.

Your "seek" failure is most likely an indication that your hard drive is failing/dying.

I would suggest making plans and preparations to replace your hard drive.  Make sure you have a backup of all your important data.

As far as the music disappearing from iTunes ... you can change iTunes settings to look in a different location for its music.

Feel free to follow up with any additional questions you might have.

Good luck!

Hard Drive Problems

PowerEdge Tech