Hard Drive Problems/External Hard Drive

Question
Hi-
I'm running out of space on my Seagate GoFlex 500GB portable HD. A few years ago, I remember someone who said that he purchased an internal HD and connected it to to a PC using an external HD enclosure or dock.

Since I don't need the software that often comes with external HD's, is an internal HD plus a dock or enclosure a better option?

I'm not asking because I want a DIY solution.  I'm just looking for the best solution for the value.

Thanks!

-Brian

Answer
Hi Brian!

It is not always a better "value" to get an internal drive and an enclosure, although it can afford you more versatility and customization.  An enclosure allows you to to connect any spec drive you like (SATA/IDE/SAS/SCSI, 5400/7200/10k/15K RPM, etc.) to the enclosure (depending on its features/capabilities).  Depending on the enclosure, it can simplify changing out drives (for backup rotation, quick swapping/adding, etc.).

An external enclosure is especially handy when converting any internal drive (that might already house many files ready to share/archive or needs to be accessed 'offline') to an external - one that might be made available to any system via USB or connecting to a network.

You don't need to use - or see - the software on the external drive ... just delete the partition(s) and/or reformat it to your liking.  Depending on the enclosure you purchase separately, external drives will usually cost less.

As you can see, I have not really answered your question directly - the real answer is "it depends".

Feel free to follow up with any additional questions you might have.

Hard Drive Problems

PowerEdge Tech