Hard Drive Problems/Running out of disc (C) space

Question
Originally had two physical discs in Dell Vostro computer.
C  disc had 74.4 GB but now down to only 56KB.

Disc D now has 232GB (some stuff is already on Disc D.)

One would think that the computer would automatically prevent
data to store in Disc C and send all new data to Disc D, and
obviously there is a lot of data in Disc D that I don't recall
putting in so it must have done that already.

But how to close down Disc C so I don't use up the remaining
56KP and so I don't get that scary message that I'm running out
of disc space?  An additional message says I can make some more
space, but I did that already and I just want to stop using Disc
C.  The reason I had a second disc installed was to prevent just
this kind of problem of running out of C disc space but it's
happening anyway.  Thank you for the answer.  David. December 6 2013

Answer
Hi David!

C: is the drive used by Windows, so it can't be closed or shutdown.  Windows doesn't automatically put anything on a second drive - that is up to you to decide what you want to do with a second drive and set it up.

One thing you can do is move all your Personal files over to the D: drive.  You need to open C:\Users\yourusername and right-click on My Documents, Properties, Location tab, and change C: to D: ... this will move all your Documents to the D: drive and continue saving documents on D: instead of C:.  Do this with Pictures, Music, and Videos too.  Other others are optional.

There are other things you can do, but the above is the best way to utilize a second disk to free up space on C:.

Feel free to follow up with any additional questions you might have.

Good luck!

Hard Drive Problems

PowerEdge Tech