I am trying to install windows 8 in my PC but its not detecting the hard disk whereas my current window i.e. windows XP is running smoothly and showing all the partitions of the hard disk.
Please help me out on this!!!!

Hi Ashwani!

If the disk is functional but Windows 8 doesn't see it, then it is most likely a driver issue. If so, you will need to load the driver into the Windows 8 install so it can talk to the controller managing the drive(s).

I can't give you any more specifics without knowing the make and model of your PC, and the make/model of your storage controller (if not the onboard SATA/IDE ports).

Feel free to follow up with additional information.  

Hard Drive Problems

PowerEdge Tech

I can answer questions about server hardware RAID and general storage for servers and PC's - hard drive issues, troubleshooting, advice, specs, and information. While some apparent drive/RAID array failures can be recovered, I can only provide advice/recommendations in the event of catastrophic data loss. I don't assist in actually recovering from this type of data loss on this forum.

I worked as an analyst in Dell server support for 2 years, and have since worked with many Dell PowerEdge servers. I am currently employed as IT Manager. I am currently ranked in the top 5 All-Time in Server Hardware and Hard Drives in a very popular and large forum similar to AllExperts.

I have a BS in Computer Science and have earned the following certifications: CompTIA Security+, A+, Project+; CIW Web Design, Database Specialist; Microsoft Windows 7; Dell DCSE Server. I am also an expert in Windows 7, Servers, and Hard Drives (I don't normally do XP - not because I don't know it inside and out, but because I have "retired" personal support for XP, and I want to see it die :)).