Hard Drive Problems/Recovering Deleted Data??

I have a HP Pavilion Dv6 Laptop.

My computer has had several errors over the past couple days and even BSOD.

Oh and something to do with a popcorn kernel.

Anyway it finally got to me today and I was basically forced to put my computer in recovery mode A.K. A back to factory mode.

I really didn't have much of a choice since that stupid BSOD kept popping up and I couldn't really access most of anything.
I couldn't even get into safe mode and  as a result,  I wasn't able to write down the names of my files and get them back later.

I want to know how I can get back my lost files and applications??

Some ofthem were files that I've had for months and some of them were files that I acquired very recently.

Any help that you could give would be greatly appreciated because I am freaking out right now.

Hi Kelsey!

I'm afraid I don't have good news for you.

Your factory restore operation completely overwrites anything previously stored on the drive, so there is no [simple] way to get them back.  Your options:

1. Pretty much guaranteed to get your data back, but the most expensive:

Professional data recovery services.  Places like OnTrack and DriveSavers should be able to recover your data, but this will likely cost between $500-800 (or more).  If you MUST get the data back, this is the option you want.

2. You could try a data recovery software ... this will be very hit/miss and random as to which files it might find, and for $100, it may not find the files you are looking for (may have been partially or fully overwritten during the restore).

3. Chalk it up as a lesson learned.  From here on out, make sure you always keep a backup - a second (or third) copy of any file you don't want to lose.

Feel free to follow up with any other questions you have.

Good luck!

Hard Drive Problems

PowerEdge Tech

I can answer questions about server hardware RAID and general storage for servers and PC's - hard drive issues, troubleshooting, advice, specs, and information. While some apparent drive/RAID array failures can be recovered, I can only provide advice/recommendations in the event of catastrophic data loss. I don't assist in actually recovering from this type of data loss on this forum.

I worked as an analyst in Dell server support for 2 years, and have since worked with many Dell PowerEdge servers. I am currently employed as IT Manager. I am currently ranked in the top 5 All-Time in Server Hardware and Hard Drives in a very popular and large forum similar to AllExperts.

I have a BS in Computer Science and have earned the following certifications: CompTIA Security+, A+, Project+; CIW Web Design, Database Specialist; Microsoft Windows 7; Dell DCSE Server. I am also an expert in Windows 7, Servers, and Hard Drives (I don't normally do XP - not because I don't know it inside and out, but because I have "retired" personal support for XP, and I want to see it die :)).