Hard Drive Problems/replacing Hard drive

Question
  I have an HP Pavillion 1340n that has vista.  The hard drive has blue screened a few times and is quirky.  The problem is that the computer didn't come with install disks, just recovery partition.  So if I buy a new hard drive I don't have windows.  The ocmputer isn't worth spending big bucks for windows.  Is there a way I can copy the recovery portion of the old hard drive, copy it into the new hard drive and run the windows vista install from there?

Answer
Hi Don!

No, but you should be able to create recovery disks from which you can install the factory installation on a new hard drive.  If you can't do that, then you will need to obtain an installation disk for Vista from HP.  This may require a current warranty and may cost upwards of $20-30.

You can also follow the instructions below to obtain "retail" media that can be used to install Windows (requires phone activation with Microsoft using the OEM Product Key):

http://philipyip.wordpress.com/dell-community-forums/

Feel free to follow up with any additional questions you might have.

Good luck!

Hard Drive Problems

PowerEdge Tech