Hard Drive Problems/Readyboost & SSD

I've just installed a 128gb SSD (beside my regular HDD). I plan to divide the SSD into my usual separate and dedicated partitions: "System" and "Programs."

This is my first experience with an SSD. Accordingly, I'm wondering if, in term of Readyboost (Windows 8.1) there would be any advantage in doing away with the usual dedicated 4gb Readyboost USB stick and creating instead a third, dedicated (4gb) "Readybost" partition on the SSD.

Any recommendations?

Sorry for the delay ... I didn't see a notification for this question :(

ReadyBoost will provide no benefit when using an SSD, and you will probably not be able to use the disk for ReadyBoost anyway. In fact, Windows 7/8 will disable ReadyBoost when Windows is running on an SSD. You might be able to force it, but it disables it because there is no benefit.

If you have insufficient memory in your system, consider upgrading the RAM.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask!

Good luck!

P.S. I know that separating "System" and "Programs" was/is a kind of common practice. May I ask you why you are doing it? There is no performance gain (especially on an SSD) in doing so. Just curious :)

QUESTION: Hello--and thanks for your informative answer.

As for your own question, on the separation of the Program (and user data) files from Windows System files, I have always thought that the more pristine the System drive is permitted to remain the less is the chance that Windows will become corrupted. (I'd be interested in anything you might wish to add on that.)

Hi Dan!

Performance was always the reason this was done, and only when there was a second disk available to Windows. This would allow Windows to run off of one disk, while programs (including Windows' page file) ran off the second disk, preventing the two from sharing disk time and throughput. Doing this from the same physical disk only complicates the seek/IO processes.

Some other OS's can store program files on another partition, blow away the OS partition and reinstall, and the programs will still be intact. This has never been possible with Windows - all programs must be reinstalled during an OS reinstall anyway.

As for keeping the OS partition clean, the thought is a good one, however, if program files become corrupt, it won't matter which partition they reside on. Reinstalling the program to repair broken program files on the programs partition is fine, but is no different than doing so on the C: partition. Programs may cause (or experience) corruption in the registry - still stored on the C: drive, making cleanup potentially more difficult.

Bottom line, it is fine for organizational reasons or for storing certain data like pictures, documents, or even databases - data that can be preserved/imported after a reinstall - but does not provide better performance and does not prevent system corruption from occurring.

I'm not saying you are wrong to do so - many people do it - I would just recommend not going to any special effort to do so, and set your expectations appropriately so as to better prepare for disaster.

Good luck!

Hard Drive Problems

PowerEdge Tech

I can answer questions about server hardware RAID and general storage for servers and PC's - hard drive issues, troubleshooting, advice, specs, and information. While some apparent drive/RAID array failures can be recovered, I can only provide advice/recommendations in the event of catastrophic data loss. I don't assist in actually recovering from this type of data loss on this forum.

I worked as an analyst in Dell server support for 2 years, and have since worked with many Dell PowerEdge servers. I am currently employed as IT Manager. I am currently ranked in the top 5 All-Time in Server Hardware and Hard Drives in a very popular and large forum similar to AllExperts.

I have a BS in Computer Science and have earned the following certifications: CompTIA Security+, A+, Project+; CIW Web Design, Database Specialist; Microsoft Windows 7; Dell DCSE Server. I am also an expert in Windows 7, Servers, and Hard Drives (I don't normally do XP - not because I don't know it inside and out, but because I have "retired" personal support for XP, and I want to see it die :)).