Hard Drive Problems/Booting Problem

Question
QUESTION: When i start my dell laptop it freezes on the dell logo....the bar only goes halfway. I can't get into the BIOS menu or safe mode.Nothing is working. It is just stuck. I know for a fact that my hard disk has crashed. BUT CAN IT ANYTHING APART FROM A FAILED HDD LIKE RAM, ROM ETC.. JUST TO BE SURE.

ANSWER: Hi Mukul!

Generally, if the bar freezes upon turning on the computer, it is the memory (RAM).  You should be able to boot to the BIOS even with a bad drive.  There are rare circumstances where a bad drive can stop POST - usually related to power issues from the drive - but you can test this by simply disconnecting the drive's power and data cables ... if you still can't boot to the BIOS, then you have something else going on - probably memory.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Good luck!

QUESTION: Thanks !!
But the thing is i had Linux OS. It always said said that the bad sector count was increasing and hard drive can crash any moment. I also had problem a with the charging IC. My battery was not charging so it was running on AC. Whenever there was a power failure my laptop used to shutdown abruptly. Does abrupt shutdown due to power failure cause RAM problem ???

Answer
It is not common, but it is possible.  Any abrupt change in power can cause many different issues.  Also, it could have happened even unrelated to the power failures.  If you have two memory DIMM's in your system, you can try swapping their positions, and booting up with a single DIMM to try and find the faulty one.  If you only have one module, you can try reseating it.

Hard Drive Problems

PowerEdge Tech