Hard Drive Problems/uninstall and delete a program

QUESTION: I am attempting to free up some disk space on my computer by removing two programs.
By checking "ehow", I learned that you had to first "uninstall" a program, then you could "delete" it at "My Computer"/"Local Disk (C:)"/"Program Files."
They said that you would be able to locate a folder for the program, click it, and select "Delete."  Then you could "Empty Recycle Bin."
The problem/questions I have are these:
[NOTE:  I did "Uninstall" of the two programs.
When I went to
"My Computer"/"Local Disk (C:)"/"Program Files"
to "Delete" them,
NEITHER program folder appeared,
so I was unable to "Delete" them, as far as I can tell...]
1. Is it possible that the "Uninstall" procedure automatically "Deleted" the programs?
2. Do I have to do something ELSE to actually "Delete" those programs in order to free up some computer space?

ANSWER: Hi Donna!

1. Yes. In fact, to meet Windows standards for software, an uninstall via Programs and Features MUST remove its Program Files folder, so there "should" never be a folder there after an uninstall. If there is, it will usually be empty. There is no need to go in manually to do anything after an uninstall.

2. No. Programs are not always the best way to free up disk space. I would suggest downloading a program called TreeSize Free to see where all your disk space is. Unless you are talking about programs like AutoCAD or Adobe Creative Suite, chances are uninstalling programs will not make a huge difference in the amount of free disk space you have. Chance are that the majority of your disk space is used by Windows files (C:\Windows) that cannot be removed (with some exceptions) and personal files (pictures, documents, movies, etc.).

If you have questions about what you see after running TreeSize, let me know what you find that seems excessive or out of place.

Good luck!

QUESTION: I have about 1000 “Favorites” saved (FIVE YEARS worth).  I have ALMOST NEVER deleted any.  And I add many more whenever I am doing research.
1. Does this practice take up mush disk space?
2. Should I delete the ones that are no longer needed?

Hello again Donna!

1. No, your favorites are simply links, usually 1KB in size. You could put hundreds of millions of links on a 500GB hard drive.

2. No. Unless you want to clean up or organize them, there is no reason to delete them.

Feel free to follow up with any other questions you have!

Hard Drive Problems

PowerEdge Tech

I can answer questions about server hardware RAID and general storage for servers and PC's - hard drive issues, troubleshooting, advice, specs, and information. While some apparent drive/RAID array failures can be recovered, I can only provide advice/recommendations in the event of catastrophic data loss. I don't assist in actually recovering from this type of data loss on this forum.

I worked as an analyst in Dell server support for 2 years, and have since worked with many Dell PowerEdge servers. I am currently employed as IT Manager. I am currently ranked in the top 5 All-Time in Server Hardware and Hard Drives in a very popular and large forum similar to AllExperts.

I have a BS in Computer Science and have earned the following certifications: CompTIA Security+, A+, Project+; CIW Web Design, Database Specialist; Microsoft Windows 7; Dell DCSE Server. I am also an expert in Windows 7, Servers, and Hard Drives (I don't normally do XP - not because I don't know it inside and out, but because I have "retired" personal support for XP, and I want to see it die :)).