Hard Drive Problems/p.c lockout

First let me say I do not know much about p.cs. A couple of years ago my p.c was  locked and they wanted money to open it. I knew it was a scam and did not send money. Now my pc will not shut off I have to pull the plug. I do not care about the pc, but there are pictures I want.Now   I want to take it somewhere to get  the pics. My question is can someone get any personal info or web sites when trying to get the pics? If they can how do I know who to trust? Thank you for any info.  Randy

Hi Randy!

Unless you do it yourself, you will eventually have to trust someone to do it. Do some research before you go and make sure they have a good BBB score and good reviews.

Yes, everything on your computer can be discovered during this process. There is no way around that. Things like passwords are harder to retrieve, but not impossible, but you are a high-end forensics expert to get some information.

People don't care about your stuff beyond getting the pictures back that you are paying them for, but if you say something to them, their curiosity will likely get the best of them and they'll go looking and tell you they didn't. That is just human nature. So, I'd do your homework, then just take it in saying you need your pictures.

Many states have laws saying that computer technicians/consultants that find certain illegal data on computers while working on them are required to report it to the authorities.

Good luck!

Hard Drive Problems

PowerEdge Tech

I can answer questions about server hardware RAID and general storage for servers and PC's - hard drive issues, troubleshooting, advice, specs, and information. While some apparent drive/RAID array failures can be recovered, I can only provide advice/recommendations in the event of catastrophic data loss. I don't assist in actually recovering from this type of data loss on this forum.

I worked as an analyst in Dell server support for 2 years, and have since worked with many Dell PowerEdge servers. I am currently employed as IT Manager. I am currently ranked in the top 5 All-Time in Server Hardware and Hard Drives in a very popular and large forum similar to AllExperts.

I have a BS in Computer Science and have earned the following certifications: CompTIA Security+, A+, Project+; CIW Web Design, Database Specialist; Microsoft Windows 7; Dell DCSE Server. I am also an expert in Windows 7, Servers, and Hard Drives (I don't normally do XP - not because I don't know it inside and out, but because I have "retired" personal support for XP, and I want to see it die :)).