Hard Drive Problems/Hard Drive Security

Dear Valued Expert

My hard disk is changed without my knowledge, this created a security objection against me. I want to defend it so I request you to tell me please if there is some way that one can tell that when the hard drive was replace with new hard drive in a system? Is there any record , back log or any other method as per which this can detected with accuracy?

Answer is requested on urgent basis please.

Hi Shahan!

The only real way to know is to have kept an inventory of what was in the system before and compare it to what is in the system now. Something like Belarc Advisor, CPUz, or CrystalDisk, etc. You would be looking for the serial number, make, and model of the specific hardware.

One thing you can check is the make/model/date of the disk that is in there now. For example, Dell would never put a Hitachi Deskstar 5400RPM drive in a Precision machine. If your computer was shipped in 2014 and has a disk dated newer than that or 2013 or older, then that could be a hint that something is off.

You could also look up the details of your specific machine or your actual order to see if there is anything in the specs or description that doesn't match.

Feel free to follow up with any additional questions!

Good luck!

Hard Drive Problems

PowerEdge Tech

I can answer questions about server hardware RAID and general storage for servers and PC's - hard drive issues, troubleshooting, advice, specs, and information. While some apparent drive/RAID array failures can be recovered, I can only provide advice/recommendations in the event of catastrophic data loss. I don't assist in actually recovering from this type of data loss on this forum.

I worked as an analyst in Dell server support for 2 years, and have since worked with many Dell PowerEdge servers. I am currently employed as IT Manager. I am currently ranked in the top 5 All-Time in Server Hardware and Hard Drives in a very popular and large forum similar to AllExperts.

I have a BS in Computer Science and have earned the following certifications: CompTIA Security+, A+, Project+; CIW Web Design, Database Specialist; Microsoft Windows 7; Dell DCSE Server. I am also an expert in Windows 7, Servers, and Hard Drives (I don't normally do XP - not because I don't know it inside and out, but because I have "retired" personal support for XP, and I want to see it die :)).